Calcium Reactor

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

eliterecon14

Pajama Cardinal
Opinions seem to vary greatly on which brand of CAx is best. I've heard good feedback on the ReefOctopus reactors which are inexpensive as far as reactors go. You want to look for a reactor that utilizes a "bottom-up" type flow design; they seem to be more efficient and result in lower CO2 usage.
You can get great results from liquid supplements, the main drawbacks to them are that they do get expensive after a while and that the daily dosing and calibration to your dosing regime can become a hassle. Cost wise I really think that it's a wash in the end no matter which way you go; it all depends on if you want to spend the money up front, or get nickel and dimed over the long haul.

so would a phosban reactor work? it utulizes the up flow, but does it use Co2. WOuld a normal pump workfor the Co2 part?

Over the last two years I uses liquid and powder CA. Looking back on it now I wish I would have gotten a CA reactor much sooner. Constant measuring and dosing had gotten very old. With my CA Reactor my SPS ans LPS are growing like crazy and look so much healthier. If you plan on tetting into SPS and LSP corals save yourself time, and money and invest on a CA reactor now.

You won't need a CO2 system unless you're running a calcium reactor, it's not needed with the two-part or one-part supplements. I had tried the Aragamilk and Purple Up stuff years back and can't say that they are worth anything (unless you like having your water cloudy). The best types of calcium/alk additives are the two part types (C-Balance, B-Ionic, etc. The point of the CO2 system is to lower the Ph inside the reactor chamber to an acidic level which breaks down the reactor media (crushed coral skeleton).
A Phosban reactor won't work because it's not designed to accomodate any sort of CO2 input. You need a reactor that seals really good, otherwise you end up having CO2 leaking out.
Check out this thread:
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-05/sh/feature/index.php

You won't need a CO2 system unless you're running a calcium reactor, it's not needed with the two-part or one-part supplements. I had tried the Aragamilk and Purple Up stuff years back and can't say that they are worth anything (unless you like having your water cloudy). The best types of calcium/alk additives are the two part types (C-Balance, B-Ionic, etc. The point of the CO2 system is to lower the Ph inside the reactor chamber to an acidic level which breaks down the reactor media (crushed coral skeleton).
A Phosban reactor won't work because it's not designed to accomodate any sort of CO2 input. You need a reactor that seals really good, otherwise you end up having CO2 leaking out.
Check out this thread:
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-05/sh/feature/index.php
how much would a Co2 tank rig cost?

how much would a Co2 tank rig cost?
You'll be looking at probably another $250 for the CO2 tank (5lb), regulator with solenoid, and a controller of the Milwaukee or PinPoint variety. That's going to be on top of the cost of the reactor. All in all you can expect to pay in excess of $500 for a decent calcium reactor set up if you buy it new. Reactors do routinely come up for sale on these forums and good deals can be found.

Last edited:
Currently there are three main ways to maintain Ca/alk levels in the reef aquarium:

1...Calcium Reactor

2...Nilsen/Kalk reactor

3...two part supplement

If you live near the ocean and have access to clean Natural Sea Water, thats a fourth option, but its not really feasible for you and I here in the midwest.

There are loads of plans on the internet for DIY Nilsen/Kalk reactors and Calcium Reactors if money is an issue. I've never built them, so I cant comment on what design is easiest or most efficient.

To run a calcium reactor you will need a minimum of a reactor itself, a CO2 tank, and a regulator w/ solenoid and needlevalve. If your reactor does not come with a bubble counter, you will need one of those as well. It is a good idea to have a pH monitor at least as well, but not necessary. I dont run my system with one. All of these items will run you somewhere in the vicinity of $400 -$500 if buying new, substantially less if buying used or DIY'ing the reactor itself.

A calcium reactor is just a tube or container that holds some form of caclium aragonite based media that will release calcium when dissolved. The CO2 will lower the pH of the water in the container to a point where the media dissolves, thus releasing the calcium and stabilizing Alk. The needlevalve allows you to adjust the CO2 rate. Too much CO2 and your media will dissolve too quickly and turn into mush. Too little CO2 and your media wont dissolve at all. The solenoid is eletrically governed. No electricity, it blocks CO2 from being released into the reactor. This keeps it from constantly dumping co2 in the event of a power outtage.

Nilsen/Kalk reactors drip Kalkwasser at a set rate into the tank. They are a tube that is filled with RO water and calcium hydroxide, (Kalk). There is some sort of stirring device, (rotating bar, rotating magnet, or power head) that keeps the kalk in suspension, and a peristaltic feed pump of somesort is connected to an RO supply and kalk is introduced to the tank this way. I would ABSOLUTELY consider and pH controller to be manditory with this set up. I have read waaaaaaayyy too many horror stories of something going wrong and too much kalk is introduced to the tank nuking everything. Kalk has a pH of somewhere around 12. It doesnt take much to wipe out a tank. a pH controller will shut down the reactor if pH reaches a certain end point. Another fun fact of kalk is that it will leave a residue on pumps and powerheads that will need to be cleaned off about every 6 months or it will wear out your pumps faster. They are cheaper than calcium reactor set ups though. Some large systems use both calcium and kalk reactors to maintain Calcium, Alk, and pH levels.

Two part...you will need the two parts being used...you can buy a pump of sorts that works on an air pump and a timer to dose the two parts at a set time daily. This is the least expensive up front, but as mentioned earlier, will cost the most over the long haul. It is also the most maintenance intensive way on your part.

Calcium reactors cost more up front but are the easiest and least maintenance requireing way to do this.

Just somethings to think about.

Nick

Back