Calcium test kits

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

kcharm

To be technical about this, I'm color defecient. I have a salifert Ca test kit and I have trouble seeing the change from purple to blue. Is there a test kit that is easier to see? What about a Ca monitor? Are they affordable?

If it's lighter shades you have the issue with, just add a bit more of the crystal reagent. It will not affect your results but will give you a deeper purple/dark blue result which might be easier to differentiate. I have the same problem and it helps me alot. The only downside being you might use slightly more test kits.

Ca monitors can be adventageous but rather pricey. It really comes down to how often you test and how high the Ca demand in the tank. The test kit costing about $23.00 ish yielding 50 tests so should last close to a year if testing weekly. The monitor upwards of $250.00+. With amertization, would take about 10 years to pay for itself in the equivalent. If you have the money to burn, why not but it's not necessary IME.

Cheers
Steve

Make sure you hold the vial over a white backgorund. alot of times my turns almost clear instead of purple.

mmkeeper said:
alot of times my turns almost clear instead of purple.
Actually it should turn from purple to blue and stay there for a good 30 seconds. Also make sure you are in natural or bright white light, not overhead fluorescent/yellow lighting.

Cheers
Steve

Also, as you're approaching the turning point, the drip will 'flash' briefly in the liquid. The momentary 'flash' of the drop turning the liquid pale for a second may be more visible to you than the subsequent full color change. You know what the test read the day before: you can pretty well hurry through the drops until you approach the critical level, then wait for the 'flash' drop, and a few more drops should be where it all changes.

A little trick I do, especially when my eyes go funny from lack of sleep, is have a second vial and add the reagents less the final titrant as a color comparison until I hit the end point.

HTH

I really like the Red Sea kits and the Seachem Reef status ca kit. The seachem kit is way overpriced though for the average hobbyist. I have also had some major problems with observing colour changes with tests like Tropic marin and Hagen. I find the Red sea Pro colour change very easy to spot: reddish to blue, or their old kit from pinkish to yellow.

Back