calcium woes

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Will

Cant get my tank level above 380 for more than one day with tech part a and b with kent, Can someone walk me through kalwasser drip or another proven method . Would like to stay around 420

Hey Will. More info please. We need to know what the rest of your water parameters are before anyone can make any suggestions.

Ammonia 0 ppm Nitrates 0 ppm Phosphates 0 ppm yesterday Calcium 390 today 380 alk 11 150 gal fowlr trying to get calcium right before starting corals tank 9 weeks new

Have you tested Ph, Mg and salinity?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

145 lbs liverock crushed coral bottom and sump, 50 turbo snails 25 red leg hermits , 2 clarksies 1 tang 3 blue green chromis

today Ca. 380 alk 11

You must be using Instant Ocean. I ran my reef for more than a couple years with those parameters. As long as you keep them stable you should be fine. If you start of the hobby trying to chase "perfect" numbers you will be in for a bunch of frustration. Stability is more important than the magic numbers.
Do you have a lot of coraline algea growing? What kind of test kits are you using?
If you don't have any corals, coraline algea, or calcium using plants then your Calcium should not be dropping.

Your ALk shoud be around 8-9dkh. Even with cal hovering between 380-400 and Mag 1350 will yield 1" growth/month. High swing ALK will STN SPS. Salinity is great if used properly for keeping chem in check w/o extra dosing for SPS "limited systems".

As a matter of fact I am using Instant Ocean. Most locals I know swear by it for reefs. Have around 145 or 150 lbs live rock. More than half of it is encrusted probably at least eigth inch thick over 50% of each rock with mostly purple coraline but with a good bit of green too. several 10 lb rocks 100% encrusted. Tons of feather dusters and tank full of copepods.

This is my first shot at reef transfered my 75 gallon fowlr to this new 180 extra deep monteray marineland

every 1 uses instant ocean it seems i used it when i first started good product. as of now i use coral pro from bulk reef supply and dont have to buffer any thing and keeps calcium at a steady 500ppm. alk and mg and ph all buffer perfect. also mixes clear after 2 hrs and stailizez in 3-4hrs. but i still hold for 24hrs.

what is the price dif in coral pro I pay 44 for 200 gal at drs f smith

That is quite a diff but sounds like great pay off if buffering that well

So what do you say senji is my calc at 380 because of all the coraline or no

Back