Calling all skimmer experts!!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

tylert

For a 90gal with 30 or 20gal sump
don't want to spend over $300
want to be able to feed tank as much as I want
has to be able to fit in 12"x11" area
Want as many suggestions as possible, or if someone has a good used skimmer to sell.
Help luke, skimwhisperer, etc.

SWC 160 well worth the money and would more than do the job.....
269. brand new..
check out "reeffiltration" .com
These ratings are not a lie..
Not like other skimmers..
this one will do a 150 easy..
your 90 will be clean as a whistle ..

Last edited:
I second the SWC 160. I have the 250 on my 180 and the thing is a beast! I feed a TON, 5 times a day, and it keeps the tank clean!! Worth every penny!

someone offered me a euro reef cs 8-2 for $200. Is that a good skimmer? Does anyone have one? It comes with a sedra 5000 and has a 8" diameter x 24" tall.

Matts125 said that he could make me a beckett style skimmer rated up to 500 gallons, how do you think that would compare to the swc160?

No offense to matt, but I'm a little worried about not having a waranty or guarantee in case something goes wrong.

Matts125 said that he could make me a beckett style skimmer rated up to 500 gallons, how do you think that would compare to the swc160?

No offense to matt, but I'm a little worried about not having a waranty or guarantee in case something goes wrong.

i am no skimmer expert at all but if i had to choose between matt and the 160 i would have to go with matt just looking at the one he built for Salty had me almost wanting to sell my swc 200 and have him make me one

well, imo becketts cant compete with meshed sicce psk 2500 pump powered skimmers. mostly for the power savings, but also for the dwell time and the bubble size...
but beckett skimmers are different beasts than mesh/pin wheel skimmers, and they do skim some nasty stuff out of the tank.
And in his defense, for those who prefer beckett skimmers, matt makes some of the best ones i've seen...

I would go with Matt main reason is the quality of his stuff. And he isn't limited to just becket skimmers he can build pretty much what ever you want

you dont have to worry about anything going wron with a beckett skimmer, they have no moving parts and cant fail other than you breaking it. I test all my builds before they go to there new home. but if something were to happen I would fix it no prob....

IMO the becketts are great skimmers, the energy savings of a mesh wheel is litterally only like 2 bucks a month, this to me is no big deal...

Hope this helps..

matt

Hey Tyler,

Post up some pic's and comments on your skimmer I sent you.
I hope you enjoy it!!!

Good luck..

Matt

Ok guys I know it's been a while but I just got matt's skimmer in the mail a few days ago and it is AMAZING!!! I came home from work around midnight when i found it. I was so excited, I ran over to my neighbors to wake him up and show it off. lol
I was so surprised at how big it was, and also how well made it is. When he first told me that this skimmer would handle 500 gallons I took what he said with a grain of salt, but now that I have it, I can definately see it handling that amount. I am so happy that I decided to have him build me this skimmer!!! And anyone looking for a new skimmer should definately talk to matt! This guy knows what he's doing.

I'll get more pics up after my tanks done, to show it in action.

Back