Camera choice?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mattseattle

So I'm in the market for a new digital SLR. I've been researching the Sony A100, the Canon Rebel XTi and the Nikon D80. The Sony seems to have some of the better features such as image stabilization built into the body and not dependent on lens. I've read great reviews on all 3 cameras though so it's tough to pick one. What should I look for?

Thanks for the help...

When I was looking to get a camera, I was trying to decide between either Canon or Nikon. I didn't go with any other brand because I know there are a ton of available accessories/lenses for these two cameras and they are easily available. Have you gone down to a store to play with each camera? The Nikon felt too large so I ended up with the Canon XT. The XTi looks like a great camera, I've actually been thinking if I should sell my XT for the XTi.

I would probably steer clear of the sony, they are not a professional camera company. Canon and nikon, that is kinda like audi vs. bmw. The new N80 should be a great camera, a d200 stuck in a plastic body. The d200 won many camera of the year awards last year. The reason I went with nikon vs canon is becuase nikon does not bastardize their old lenses. You can pick up many old lenses from the 70's on up for reasonable prices and use them on your nikon. But hey if it really gets tuff, go down and play with them at the camera shop, and see how it feels to you. I have big hands and the low end canon's are just a bit too small for me, but the nikon's fit just right.

Good tips! I should go to the camera store and play around with a few of them to see how they feel.

Are the feature sets pretty similiar between the Canon and the Nikon's? Also, is it worth buying the kit that includes the lens? or is it more economical to buy just the body and then add a lens?

Last edited:
You should be able to get the kit lens and use it for a while. Using the kit lens taught me what I didn't like about it and helped me determine what lens to buy as its replacement. For instance, I didn't like how the front element rotated when it focused (bad if you use a ciruclar polarizer), the aperture was too small (slow lens), no manual focus ring, and a plastic mount. Stepping into a nicer lens was a huge upgrade. You can probably just buy a body and snag someones kit lens for like $50 just to learn the camera.

I bought my camera on craigslist from a local photographer. You can check out the buy/sell forums at fredmiranda.com, they have some great deals on used gear. I've bought 3 lenses from there and every seller has been great. I will probably buy my next camera there as well since many people buy cameras just to have a backup and it gets very little use.

My 2cents: Just bought a Canon and after 5mo's of taking great photos and nice bells & whistles, it got a E14 error, which means the computer in the camera is broke and only Canon Factory can repair it (at my shipping expense) i did a search onLine and found that its becoming a common problem with the new canon camera computers, this is a A610 model thou,not a rebel

I bought my camera on craigslist from a local photographer. You can check out the buy/sell forums at fredmiranda.com, they have some great deals on used gear. I've bought 3 lenses from there and every seller has been great. I will probably buy my next camera there as well since many people buy cameras just to have a backup and it gets very little use.

Hey Blazer, thanks for the url. I've been scouring the for sale section. :)

My 2cents: Just bought a Canon and after 5mo's of taking great photos and nice bells & whistles, it got a E14 error, which means the computer in the camera is broke and only Canon Factory can repair it (at my shipping expense) i did a search onLine and found that its becoming a common problem with the new canon camera computers, this is a A610 model thou,not a rebel

Eeks....yeah, unfortunately the fancier we get with electronics the more likely it is for the computer to break. Hopefully, Canon will stand behind the warranty.

I would not shy away from the online venders, but be sure to check them out on www.resellerratings.com That should give you a good idea of what kind of company they are. Watch out for the camera companies based in Brooklyn NY, they are really nasty, B+H is an exception to that.

I can't speak for the canon, but the nikon kit lenses are usually pretty decent, I am using a kit lense on from a d70 on my d50 (18-70dx) and I like it quite a lot. The d80 kit lense is a 18-135dx and it sounds like it is going to be a good one too.

I dont know if you purchased it already. And yes I will be carefull with online sellers. But I have many experiences with my online and very good deal and services.

I bought a D-50 sometime ago. And it is a re-furbished but still a good camera and no surprises. They also sell new Nikon's and an authorized seller. I have bought several cameras from them and so far so good.

email me if you want the address. I dont know if I can post here.
regards

Personally I perfer canon. I have used both, and while Nikon makes a wonderful product I just perfer the feel of the canon, not to mention that as far as digital goes, Canon's line is constantly improving, making them the leader as far as I'm concerned. I don't know how much money you are all wanting to invest in your photography but my advice would be to get the 8mg rebel. As far as lenses, I've always stayed away from the kit lenses that come with the cameras. They are often plastic and cheap. I am in the process of setting up my first reef tank (120 AGA) so I have never taken pictures of a tank. But I know that when I do i will want to use my macro lens. There are companies that make very quality lenses at a fraction of the price of the more expensive canon and nikon lenses. Sigma is a company that I like. You have to be careful though about which lenses you buy. There is a website called Fredmiranda.com. It is a forum for professional photographers that has a very extensive collection of reviews for all camera bodies and lenses. Everyone on there is very nice and can answer just about any question you have. And since they have a large number of members, any question you post will get answered within a few hours. Hope this helps some of you make your decisions. If any of you have any questions you want to ask me just PM me, I can probably help.

With that kind of investment, you might as well see which camera you can also get an underwater housing for.

Back