Camera flash?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

cookie

cat
I wanted to take some photos of my tank but I am wondering if I should avoid using the flash or if it is ok to use it? Flash...yes or no?

I would avoid the flash and put the camera on a tripod or something where you can use the delay shutter release. You know, when you want to be in the picture and you set it for 10 second delay. Is your camera a point and shoot or an SLR (interchangeable lenses)?

Set it on aperture priority, adjust the F/stop to get the depth of field. Watch the shutter speed

Ron

Flash will drown out your tank lights
ronone10 is right tripod and delay shutter will make sure you don't "SHAKE" the camera.
White balance is also a key component..Put a white piece of PVC in your tank and adjust till it comes out pure white..(heard it's the best way)

The flash will show the true colors of the tank in a natural 5600K light, isnt all that pretty. The pipe in the tank is to adjust the white balance. If your camera has a custom white balance setting then you can reference off the pipe IMO plastic grey cards work better. If you have new the newer IS lenses you dont need a tripod for general photos like full tank shots. You will need to have a tripod for true macro. Darkening the room and closing all the window shades helps keep the 56K sunlight and out of the photos.

Don

Cookie, MOST times, you do not want to use your flash, however, there are some specialty flashes that are sometimes used, to great effect. This month, on Sept. 12, the SRS meeting is at our house, and it just so happens that the topic of discussion will be Photography! Hope to see you here!!

I've remoted my flash in my tank to put a spot from above on certain fish or corals, they will out power your lights anytime. Wish I had color filters to work with.

Remote flash, from above, is a great way to get a very good effect, as Scooty said. There's also specialized Macro Ring flash units that are awesome, but cost more than a quality Macro lens...lol.

I also agree, with using a plastic gray card for custom white balance. I've used white before, but most cameras, even newer ones, have a rough time with our reef lighting, and white doesn't always work out. To custom white balance, you'll need to take a pic of the white or gray card, IN your tank. Try and fill all or most of the frame with the card. Then you tell the camera to use that photo to custom white balance from.

You can also, with newer cameras, adjust the white balance and flash, to certain Kelvin ratings. Sometimes, this works better than using white or gray cards.

Never shoot at an angle, as this causes a lot of distortion, through the glass.

I shoot all of my pictures in Manual mode, though want to try some in Aperture priority. I rarely use a Tri-pod, but am using a DSLR and "fast" lenses. With some camera/lens combos, you can put the camera or lens directly against the glass, to steady the camera.

If you come to the meeting, bring your camera along!!

Back