Can anyone ID this critter?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

IPisces

Okay there is a leg of a mini brittle star and a red fan worm in the picture. I am wondering about the critter in the middle of the pic.
Is this possibly a Stomatella varia. It doesn't quite look like one to me, but it might be.

Is that some of the snail above the shell there? If so I have seen a few pictures with them having shells that color. I remember from the first time I saw one in my tank one night I got all excited to go look up what it was :).

Only time I've seen one in my tank was when I was using my flashlight to check out all the sweet night life in my tank. And the one I saw was hauling butt across the glass, was no where to be found within a minute of me shinning the light on it.

I have seen it a couple times in the daylight. It pretty well blends in with the rock. This was shot after the lights went out. I have something that looks like it with a nicer shell. So if these are the same thing then they are both Stomatellas. Just the first pic doesnt quite look the same.

yep, the first pick is one too. try picking one up... sometimes the back of them disconnects...

I was wondering if the one in the first pic was one because of the differences in the shell and the snails body from the other one. And so what happens when it does disconnect. Does it become dead tissue? I think I will leave it be. I dont want to hurt it. I like having them. They are another cool critter.

yup i think its stomatellas..i have some in my tank..i have ones that are black and white...they get a bit big too...

One hitchiked in on a piece I got from you. It wasn't a black and white one though. I saw it in the bag when I got it home. I put it in my other tank. They are great little workers.

I don't know if it hurts them or not. I think it is a defensive mechanization, similar to a lizard losing its tail. it sometimes it comes off just moving it nicely. the tail also wiggles after it comes off.

yes stomatellas autonomize(spelling might be off) the latter half of their foot. i'm guessing there isn't much pain, seeing as how they are built especially for it. it will stay there and wiggle around while the snail proper slinks off to live another day.

Back