Can anyone tell me what this is?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

N1Husker

RF Staff
I found this growing out of one of my rocks about 2 weeks ago and haven't been able to identify what it is. Anyone have any ideas? It's about an inch high now and looks brown when the lights are on.

Unknown.jpg

It looks green in the photo but with the naked eye it looks brown, longs staight narrow stems. I looked up boergesenia and it says that it is the scientific name for valonia or a type of bubble algae. What I have in my tank doesn't look like the images I found on the net. The images look like bubble algae, but not like what I see in my tank. I will try to get a better photo tomorrow.

Pull them out and clean them off and take a pic of them. Dont bother putting them back in. You probably dont want them anyway.

Well I took more pictures but didn't post them because I took out the rock and took my dremel with a spiral ball burr and ground it all out. I also took care of a bristleworm in the process. I also found two brittle stars on the rock. A lot of life on that little rock. The stuff was a dark green and the closer I looked, it was a type of bubble algae, so I will write it off as valonia (boergesenia). After I took care of that rock it is gone! I hope.

Thank you, I find it interesting that there is so much knowledge on this forum and just about all questions can be answered.

Back