Can I breed Brine shrimp in my Refugium??

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Sure you can...:) That's one of the functions of a refugium, not necessarily just a place for you to keep a macro algae in for nutrient export to take place, but also a place to grow food to feed the tank. :)

Sure you can...:) That's one of the functions of a refugium, not necessarily just a place for you to keep a macro algae in for nutrient export to take place, but also a place to grow food to feed the tank. :)
Thanks Krish and again for your kind words yesterday. I will be cleaning up tommorow " storm damage " I am going to the lfs today and I think I will pick up some brine shrimp eggs.:)

I'm not sure if you can do brine.. I know they prefer a hyposaline environment..

But, you can do pods, etc. in your refugium. :)

-Josh-:cool:

They actually prefer a hypersaline environment as apposed to a hyposaline. They like it really salty...hence "brine."

Ahh...You learn something new everyday:D I knew pods were cultured in refugiums and always thought brine as well. So does that mean brine shrimp is only found in parts of the world where the salinity is higher than 1.024??

Thanks Krish and again for your kind words yesterday. I will be cleaning up tommorow " storm damage " I am going to the lfs today and I think I will pick up some brine shrimp eggs.

Good luck with the cleanup:)

I would try mysids

To exclusivly feed your tank, even with just a few fish, you would need a big refugium.... very big.

I have hatched brine every other day for the last year or so.... (I feed BBS to my baby ponies) I have some success growing them out and gut loading them for the Juv. sea poines. I would not try it in a refugium that is in your sump.

Brine are messy and not as nutritious as other sources of food.

You would be better to have a lot of pitted and convoluted live rock in your sump with some Chaeto. Get some pods going with a little green water and a start of pods. Then get a culture of Mysids. Put them in at night... have a light on but make sure that you have a dark cycle. They reproduce at night. They are a better food source. They are not as messy. They are happy at typical tank salinity.

Back