Can I have 90 Elbos on my drain line???

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

poriferabob

I screwed up part of my design and now the easiest fix would be to use two 90 degree elbos on my drain into my sump. Can this be done???

i wouldn't see why not, as long as it stayed clean.buildup over time might restrict waterflow. but that's just a scientific guess :D

Your pipe size should be generously oversized to begin with. Usually one is concerned with moving water up because pumps cost money, gravity is free! :)

(2) 90's will put a lot of restriction/friction on that line. It will work, but won't flow as freely as it could. One problem you may encounter is a lot of belching and gurgling sounds coming from all the elbows as water enters the sump, but you may be ok...I guess you'll have to test it to see how well it works. If you aren't pushing your overflow to its limit through that drain line then you should be fine where flow is concerned. Any chance to get a photo of where you "screwed up" ? We may be able to help you figure out another way before glueing in (2) 90's :)

He'll need (4) 45's to do what (2) 90's will do and then it all comes down to space. If he has space for (4) 45's then I'd just pop in a piece of flex pvc and make a smooth gradual bend:)

I really wouldnt worry about it for drains. Sh*^ goes down hill and I doubt any fish turd is going to be plugging up your pipes.

Don

Like I said FWIW. It pretty much pertains to back pressure issues.

just submerge the drains, that will take care of the noise.

I wish that was the case for me Charlie...Doesn't always work out that way though.... I had to split my output with a "T" to get rid of mine, but he may be ok:)

That's basically what I used (flex pvc). The stuff is heven sent if you ask me. You get nice gradual bends with them without any restriction:)

Back