Can I use these Home Depot containers to store my water?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

carlos_fb

Caribe Piranha
I saw these water containers in Home Depot and I was wondering if I can use them to store my water.

01.jpg

02.jpg

what number does it have in the triangle thingy?, if it has a number 2 ...then yeap but if it has a number 4....then don't use it or cure the container....i had to go throught cyano and i almost lost my corals because i didn't know i wasn't suppose to use containers like that.
here's what my buddy Curt told me :) .

If they are brand new, open one up and give it the "sniff" test. If you smell anything other than air, decide if it's a strong smell or a very weak smell.

If it's a weak smell, scrub 'em down with white vinegar really well and then hose them down real well with your garden hose. Let them dry out in the sun. Then re-smell. If odorless, you're good to go.

If when you first open them, you get a strong smell, it's a little more difficult. Here's the recommendation of a Salt Manufacturer.

Quote:
Quote:
When buckets are made they are put one inside the other. This is called nesting. When newly fabricated buckets are made and they are nested, there is no way any air can circulate. Thus any toxins from newly formed synthetic materials cannot escape.

To cure: Fill the container with water. Add one cup of Clorox (bleach) and 10 pounds of common salt (rock salt will do), to each 25 gallon size container.

Allow to sit for 4-5 days.

Dump out, not on your lawn! Wash with clean fresh water.

Fill with clean fresh water. Add de-chlorinator like Amquel. Allow to sit for 4-5 days.

Discard this water. Allow to open air cure (leave in your back yard) for 4-5 days.

At the end of this process, smell inside the container. If there is ANY odor of plastic, resins, etc. Cure again.

Once there is NO odor of any type, you can safely use this container to mix and store salt water.

Back