Can these fish live together?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

You should be fine. How long have the FH been in the tank and how big is your tank? Flame hawks can be a bit of a bully to new comers once established in their tank LOL.

A flame hawk
Oragne spotted goby
Neon Goby

I am sure they cant but thought I would ask for opinions!

Your Flame Hawk is the fish I would worry about. Scott Michaels shared a few stories about how Flame hawks will eat introverts and smaller fish.

Here is a little horror story I had with a spotted hawkfish. a couple years ago I got a hawkfish from a fellow memeber here. Needless to say it ended up killing my pipe fish, flameback angel, a tang and ate all my cleaner shrimps. I however do want a flame hawkfish for my 270g but it will be the very last fish that goes in and all other fish will be too big for it to eat.

Here is a little horror story I had with a spotted hawkfish. a couple years ago I got a hawkfish from a fellow memeber here. Needless to say it ended up killing my pipe fish, flameback angel, a tang and ate all my cleaner shrimps. I however do want a flame hawkfish for my 270g but it will be the very last fish that goes in and all other fish will be too big for it to eat.

Yeah I think I will just scrap the neon goby idea. I love my flame hawk but he is a bully. As of late, he was the last fish added and my cleaner and fire shrimp were fine for months and months after adding him and then sunndenly my fire shrimp was gone. Got a new one, added it and in I dont know about 0.001 of a second, my flame hawk, well he killed it. Then, my pistol shrimp came out of his hole and drug the whole thing into his cave. That was a 25 dollar meal for him! Then about 2 weeks later, my cleaner shrimp of over a year disapperaed....I wonder who got him? That darn flame hawk, if only he wasnt such a ham to have in the tank!

You could always add a mantis shrimp and see how he does with that. j/k :lol:
For me, my BTA was the problem with my last cleaner shrimp. Woke up one Saturday morning to see nothing but the white antennae stickicking out of the center of the nem's mouth. :mad:

I had at one time all three fish for over a year in my system (plus two cleaner shrimp) and had no problems with the Hawk. He is a small one which I did on purpose. I did loose the orange spot recently, he jumped. Don't know why, but I never saw the Hawk bother him. The last fish in was the Neon Goby for my Atlantic Tang and I've even seen him clean on the Hawk once or twice.

Back