Can too many pods be bad for my Reef???

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jaygalindo

Mariners Fanatic
The reason why i ask is because I don't have any fish that consume pods. Today I found a huge pod crawling around a colony of RPE paly's. It was almost the size of a small sexy shrimp. I just want to know if i need to control these guys and if they will eat polyps when bigger?

I'm not quite sure to be honest...but I would imagine that it is not. More than likely you saw an Amphipod(pretty sure those are the larger ones) which are really great natural food for anything in the system. Really, having a lot of pods is a sign of a healthy system in my experience. Heck I know I am constantly striving to maintain a healthy environment that will produce as many pods as possible!

no... its just a sign of over food.. or something thats "IN favor" of pop production..

uselessly when a tank is young it hits a point and the Pod-u-lation blows up but then it will level it self out..

pods are good source of food... for fish

antarctic-amphipod-giant.jpg

ALL YOUR FRAGS ARE BELONG TO US!!!!!

Not bad....in my experiences they add to CUC....corals feed on em and I am sure you will find fish that are or will feed on em

jay did you go to wapato High? I went to school to someone with the same name.

There are literally thousands of species of pods, most of them are just fine in our aquariums and as a previous poster suggested a pod bloom is normal and to be expected and will most likely work itself out.

There is a train of thought in reef keeping that pods are very good for tanks, many of us that subscribe to this philosophy have dedicated refugiums to help grow pods where they can reproduce without predatation.

Of the many kinds of pods, some are very good at removing detritus and others very good at eating algaes, very few that make it into our systems prey on live things be it fish or coral.

HTH

Copepods are fine. Amphipods are the ones that can get rather large (depending on species) and can be predatory. Adalae (sp?) would be the guru to chime in on this one.

Perhaps you should add a fish that preys on them more than others. There are many good choices and a lot of neat fish that will fill that roll. I cant think of the last tank I had that didn't have a 6 line wrasse (or 4 line).

Back