Can you name this species of snail?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

sharps

I have this big snail that likes to stay hidden in the substrate, but when it comes out the thing is scary. It attacked and killed one of my crabs, kinda like tremors. No respect! The thing is fast and out of control! Can you identify this troubled teen?

Looks like a really cool nasarious snail... exact kind I don't know. Great shell pattern!

That is a Babylonia snail, once classified as a whelk, but not anymore. I bought one recently (the LFS said it was a large nasaurius). My research showed that these snails are scavengers but are "capable of hunting their own food," i.e. other snails, possibly tridacna clam feet, etc. I didn't know they would catch crabs.

I've been wondering what to do with mine, partly because it's a bit scary, and partly because I'm moving to a BB tank.

I did feed it some meaty fish food one day and it sucked the food right off the end of my tweezers... :eek:

guess you better tell him to get his nike snail shoes out.... cause

how big is that? i cant tell by the pic

What kind of crab did it kill? I have a couple snails like this, rescues from a friends tank, and I lost an emerald crab, and pepermint shrimp over the last few months.

The shell on mine is ~1.25" long, and when its body is stretched out the whole thing is ~2.5" long.

thansk for the replies, i think he might be a nassarius based from your replies, the name seems evil enough for its behavior, heh. Im reading they are omnivores and peaceful but they are very fast. Mine is about an 1 1/2 inch atleast. Supposedly they are hard to breed in captivity so perhaps a good snail overall.

My friend has pictures of the kill on his camera so i will get them and post. I will try to describe the scene of the crime. :p

btw Jan, if it is a babylonia snail, they are fine eating delicacy in SE Asia.

Last edited:
wow thanks, looks like hes getting the cold freeze next time i find him. I will still post those pics when i get the chance.

now that's f'ing funny...

make one for red bugs too!
mabye even aefw...lol

i see a top ten most wanted list coming...:idea:

Hillarious!! :D I want them all for my tank room. Especially AEFW's!!

I see a little marketing........

heh, Im quite pleased you guys got a kick out of it. I would be happy to make some custom ones for you guys if you provide me the images and information. If that one didnt print right i can email me you a better copy.

I take a 1 1/2 raw shrimp and cut the up and put them by the glass in my tank and my nars. sail pop out of the sand like the frikin termenator and i swear i hear em growl when they eat. the lfs guy said they will give you a little bite if ya let them... i just took his word for it...

Back