Canister Filter

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

aaron7405

Hi there I want to buy a canister filter I have a 55 G LR and softies , I would like a filter but could you please recomend me one, brand a nd model? I bougth a Fluval 405 and it was a pice of crap (chep plastic and the o rign never seals), It flood my livingroom and after 3 weeks of trying to seal it I just give up on him. So im looking for a better filter worts 100´s I ever spend.:mad:

Im ready for another but not fluval please

I was loking a XP3 Rena Canister filter. What do you think about it?

I like my fluval. I run carbon and Phosphate remover 24/7.

Just make sure you keep it clean and take out the sponges and the ceramic media that it comes with.

I like marineland's canister filters...The H.O.T Magnum and the Magnum 350. As Elliott suggested though, be sre to keep up with changing out the sponges/rinsing them every few days as well as changing out the media. If it is biological filtration you are really after, your live rock should provide all the biological filtration you should ever need:)

I've used all three brands and I currently use the Rena XP3 on my 40 gal...

Of the brands here's what I've seen:
Fluval - hard to prime alot of the time and seals get weak if they are dry - a little petroleum jelly goes a long way

Eheim - Quiet, and depending on the model you get, if you get the complete flow through kind (2200 series where the output is on the bottom) you will get the best, hands down, filtering. Hard to clean though since the hoses don't have stops. Seals still get weak, and the metal clamps bend over time leading to leaks, petroleum jelly again will seal it up

Rena - Quiet and relatively easy to prime, eventhough it says no priming is needed, you still need to. It has the same top mount input/output hoses as a fluval with a directional valve so you can easily unplug and go clean the canister without worrying about your hoses siphoning out your tank while you are gone. The multiple media chambers also make it nice to put a variety of media in the canister. Definiately doesn't filter as great as the eheim though. I've only had mine for a year, but the seal is still good, Im sure it will go bad just like the rest in a few years :)

Hope this helps :)

Back