Canister Filters?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

speedyrb29

Should canister filters be used in reef tanks? What benifets would they give to a reef tank? Also what canister filter work best?

In my humble opinion, I would only use them if you have activated carbon or phosban in them. If you're going to use them for mechanical or biological filtration in the end you'll have a hard time keeping nitrates under control.

In my opinion they are just fine for temperory use only. I.E. less than 3 days in a row. After that they begin to make large amounts of nitrates. My favorite of them, price and features, and ease of use. Is the RENA filstar line. The reason nitrates made by cannister filters are bad is that the live rock will make nitrates inside it and then pass them on and turn them to nitrogen gas. The live rock has a hard time taking nitrates out of the water colum that were not created inside of it. Its like a hand off to more bacteria in the rock when the rock gets to do orginally. I hope that makes sense. Steve

I agree they can easialy become a nitrate trap I could not get my nitrates down until I went with a sump unpluged my canister filter and then bam zero nitrates and it stays there :)

The only things I like canister filters for are circulation and activated carbon, but they do need to be cleaned often like everyone above said. For circulation you'd be better off spending your money on a powerhead or pump, and if you use carbon consider something like the Pentair Lifegard module filter. The single chemical module is only about $35, and you simply connect it inline from a pump. Your best filter for "junk" in a reef is your protein skimmer; it's wise to invest in a good one.

Clayton

Amen to that thought on the Protein Skimmer... and, no pun intended, don't skimp on the skimmer. The money spent will well be worth the cost.

For the most part I mirror what has already been said. I run a fluval 404 in my sump with carbon. I am a little confused as to why folks believe these become nitrate factories though. All the fluval has in it are a few sponges for larger particulate and then the carbon sections. Many people use sponges in their sumps and carbon in bags. What is the difference? If the sponges are what becomes the problem then you can just take them out. They aren't critical...

There are benefits to running carbon "actively"(Mechanically or carbon bag attached to the sump drain) versus "passively"(bag of carbon sitting in the sump). It's simply a more efficient way to use carbon.

Back