Canopy lift system ( thanks peppie!)

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

kpiotrowski

Kevin
this lift is for a 4x2x2 peninsula tank. The combination of a heavy oak hood with lights and ballast etc, and the tank being so high of the ground made it nearly impossible to remove without a second person. So this is what I came up with.

First off a HUGE thank you to Dave (peppie) for all of his help! with out him I was going to build a scaffold to reach the ceiling but, he jsut popped over one day and went to work standing on is his tip toes on the top of the step-ladder, materials in one hand and tools in the other. quite a sight to see him with a lagg gun in one hand and the 4 foor wood platform in the other...all while I stood at ground level, feeling useless,handing him the occoasional tool.

so, this is the platform that the "garage gator"( brand) lift is intalled to. It is lagged through the ceiling to rafters.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Dave in action!!!

Gargage gator installed. note the hanging control cord that are to be install later in-wall.

this close -up shows how the cables are wound, which later turned into a bump in the road. because the cables wind left to right, you can never perfectly level the canopy. plus side was I took back $30 worth of turnbuckles that were going to be used to "perfect" it. it has a slight twist when if goes up but is in no way a problem...just doesnt look perfect. ( close up is below)

and the finished product just blend right in. not to mention you have to really look up to notice!

and the james bond contoller lol, need some touch-up but you can see how it has a key lock safety feature. bonus!!!

Last edited:
I was excited to help you out when you told me what you had in mind. This was a great project. It doesnt break the bank and is very functional. I am glad it turned out the way you envisioned.

Did I happen to inspire you to elevate your canopy? Much nicer than my "lift" using a 35lb counter weight...lol

Did I happen to inspire you to elevate your canopy? Much nicer than my "lift" using a 35lb counter weight...lol

yes definately deb, but I think I went the easy route and yours is much nicer! its pretty noisy, and only a light touch jerks it up or down a half inch at a time. yours is smooth and quiet and lifts up square. its simply a way to get the lift out of my way for maintance.

You did your self proud thats really nice:) Your home looks great too!

Yeah that peppie is handy we are so excited he is moving to Bakersfield......who would of ever thought peppie working at the beach as a Life Guard:)

Yeah that peppie is handy we are so excited he is moving to Bakersfield......who would of ever thought peppie working at the beach as a Life Guard:)

Seriously! Is there a beach in Bakersfield?

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

Well its not really a beach more like a public pool but their is sand no one walks in it though.....nebrahood cat's:( JK:) Back to the cool canopy.

You did your self proud thats really nice:) Your home looks great too!

If I could get payed 1/2 as much as I do here to sit in the warm sunshine, and look at the bikini's......

I would like, totall be there dude.

Back