Can't get new ballast to fire

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Aristarchus

Posted this a couple other places also but here goes-

I just recently purchased a couple SLS Tek T5 retro-kits, one came with a Workhorse ballast and the other came with a Advance Centium ballast. The Workhorse ballast fires up just fine, but my Advance ballast is having issues. I have it wired in correctly according to the diagrams and have checked all of my connections. The ballast fires up for about 10 seconds every 5-10 minutes and then shuts back off.

I'd make a terrible electrician, hopefully someone has some advice. Thanks!

Kyle

Have you tried swapping lamps?
If so & the same thing happens, then contact the manufacturer, may be a bad ballast! What are the ratings of that ballast & how many lamps do you have on it & how long are they? These ballast have a wattage limit, so not to exceed that is important.
Just a few thoughts!

Thanks for the reply scoot,

I've tried swapping the bulbs around already, I am running 2 54w lamps with SLS Tek End Caps. I have even pulled the end caps apart and ensured that the wires were still secure in them. Talk about a pain in the a**, hopefully they will just trade me out a workhorse ballast when I try to return it to Aquacave.

Here are the ballast spec's:

The ICN-2S54 by Advance. The leader in ballast technology. Centium Series high frequency electronic T5HO ballast.

# Powers: 1 or 2 F54T5/HO lamps, FC12T/HO or 36-55W 2G11 base CFL lamps.
# Input Watts: 46-120
# Input Volts: 120-277
# Ballast Factor: 85-122%
# Total Harmonic Distortion (THD): 10-20%
# Power Factor: 96-98%
# Length (in): 9.5
# Width (in): 1.7
# Height (in): 1.18

Well, I tore everything down and start over from scratch wiring it up exactly as the both diagrams showed. Made sure the end caps were tight, and even swapped out the lamps from the other kits that works correctly. Now every time I give it power, it starts up for 15 seconds and shuts off for good. Getting really frustrated at this point since I've spent probably 6 hours trying to get this one ballast going.

Back