Carbon dosing

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

JRF

Hi
I was wondering what are the dangers, if any, of dosing a carbon source ( say Reef BioFuel or vodka ) when NO3 and PO4 are able to be maintained at, or near 0 ,with dosing only Mb7?
Thanks

More or less over dosing and fueling massive bacterial growth. One needs to be cautious and go very slow at this.

Yes and at his age he can tell you all about going slow. It really didnt take two days for you to get a response. He's been working on typing that one liner for the past two days.

But seriously go real slow.

Don

LOL , thanks guys...I am using Mb7 right now but no form of carbon dosing..
so, the reason I am asking is that I have been told a couple different things:
1 - if the NO3 and PO4 are at or near 0 with just using Mb7 alone, then there is no need for a carbon source ( vodka, or Reef Biofuel, ect )...
2 - even if NO3 and PO4 are at 0 with just mb7, you should still dose a carbon source which aides in coral color, coral health, ect.....

Not sure which of those is the truth....any more info / advice?

If I do try to dose a carbon source, I will go very slowly and dose only a very small amount for several weeks before I up the dose...

LOL , thanks guys...I am using Mb7 right now but no form of carbon dosing..
so, the reason I am asking is that I have been told a couple different things:
1 - if the NO3 and PO4 are at or near 0 with just using Mb7 alone, then there is no need for a carbon source ( vodka, or Reef Biofuel, ect )...
2 - even if NO3 and PO4 are at 0 with just mb7, you should still dose a carbon source which aides in coral color, coral health, ect.....

Not sure which of those is the truth....any more info / advice?

If I do try to dose a carbon source, I will go very slowly and dose only a very small amount for several weeks before I up the dose...

First of all your tank should be 0 according to your test kits with no dosing of anything. Dosing to reduce nitrates is a patch and a problem waiting to turn into a crash.
Dosing a carbon source will bring a system to a "true" 0 or very close to it. As far as coral health/color is concerned there are many schools of thought none of which are fact and unproven. Some folks have good luck, some have found just the righ combonation and others have been complete failures.

Don

Roger roger, my tank was 0 before i started dosing..

Back