Carbon Reactor

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Myteemouse

NOTHING
:evil::evil:
Very mad,
Why is it off things in my SW set up carbon reactor is the HARDEST to fill with out makeing a mess...
there has got to be a secret to not spilling carbon all over the floor?!?
ANYONE?? :doubt::mad::cry::evil::(

Lucky you got hard wood you can spill on. My dogs or my sisters kids (still cant figure out who did it cause niether of them till the truth:lol:) got into and got it all over the carpet and before i hade the chance my mom tried to suck up the dust with the vaccum; very bad idea. It turn are already gross white carpet into gross black carpet.

I open the top off a little bit,pour out the water, then pour out the carbon over my garbage can. Although the first time I changed it I didnt know and it spliied all over hahah

I have a very tall (24") reactor for Custom aquatic
it has that stupid bottom plate and sponge then the top plate and sponge and youy have to aim to get the carbon right between those two and I always have problems with freshly rinsed , wet carbon spilling all over trying to pour it into a half moon share three inch hole :(
It wouldn't be so bad but the down tube and the bottom plate and top plate are all connected so IO cant put the down tube and bottom plate and sponge in then dump in carbon so I have to move teh entire thing at once.. I am just a messy guy by nature. this doesn't help.

Last edited:
I am about to setup a carbon reactor this week made by NextReef, the MR1. It has a similar setup like yours with two sponges. My plan is to put the carbon in a filter bag. I read others have done the same. Have you tried this? Any issues doing it this way? Should cut down on the mess.

When I change Rowa or carbon in the reactor I would just remove the top plate and sponge from the reactor, pour the new rowa or carbon in from their container. Then i would put the reactor together and fill up a 5 gallon bucket with ro water and then use that to clean the new media enstead of rinsing/washing it then putting it in the reactor.

Back