cat banded shark

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

bjlind8888

Hey all,

I really want to sell my 35g reef and get a small cat banded shark. i have a 100g cube sitting in my garage. the only thing i need is lighting but i read that the shark doesnt like that much light at all.so it will have room to turn around. But i just wanna do some research before i buy one. i wanna know if i can have live rock or should i just have sand.. and as far as other fish go i probally wont have any other fish. and i am not a newbie to this hobby but i am not a master either. how hard are they to take care of once you get them eating and the water conditions stable??? i saw that matt had one and he had it in a tank with many other tank mates. the only other thing i want in there are probs some zoos and mushrooms and stuff like that. i guess im just asking for some feedback on if this is a good idea or not.

Thanks Brandon

I honestly think you need to forget about getting any species of shark until you have a tank many times larger than the one you have sitting in your garage. Some websites recommend the smallest tank size to be 18o gallons. These same websites say the maximum size of this shark is 15". In truth, this shark can attain a size of 4 feet.

Last edited:
is there a smaller shark that i can put in a tank that size?

i dont think there is such a thing. why not try a golden dwarf eel or a volitan lionfish,? i did however have a pair of Colombian sharks in a 100 gallon just for them.

Although the draw of keeping shark is seems to capture everyone in the hobbie at one point or another, there are nothing but downs to it. The animals grow rather quickly and become unable to stay healthy in the tanks that most people provide. They also dont move around as much as people would like and seem to loss their WOW after getting them home. The biggest problem is what to do with them when they become too large to keep...Most people think than can just give then to one of the commercial aquariums, but the truth is that the local aquariums are unwilling to take animals from personal tanks. They have been over run in past years and finally had to just say no to anymore donations... just somethings to consider before you purchase one...

Back