Chaetodon ephippium

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Carl

Lee any experience with this fish? I am thinking about adding 2 small ones to my 180. Currently there are no other butterflies in the tank. The current occupents are 4 Pseudanthias flavicauda, 4 Pseudanthias dispar,
2 Pseudanthias lori, 1 Wetmorella sp. wrasse, 1 Paracentropyge multifaciata. No corals in the tank and won't be in the future

A pair would be perfect but I imagine sexing, if even decided yet, would be tough at about 1".

The tank is fed usually no less than 5 times a day because of the anthias. Two 25 gallon water changes are done weekly. Temp runs 75f-76f since most of the fish are deeper water species. Lighting is VHO.

Any opinions or experience?

Thanks
Carl

I've always been partial to Chaetodon ephippium. Of the dozen or so I've kept, they don't seem to want to hang around very long.

Over the years I have found that the smaller ones seem to live longer and take to eating fairly quickly. They should fit in with your other fishes. As for a pair, it is a possibility but. . . You'll have to monitor them to see if they are having troubles getting along. At feeding time, they should not openly interfere with the other eating.

This is one fish that benefits from a quarantine process to get it used to eating prepared foods and to 'settle down' better. I would put each through a quarantine process, separately, at the same time so you can introduce them into the display tank at the same time.

Ok. I am going to seriously consider them. The QT tank is occupied right now so I have about a month to decide.

Thanks!
Carl

Back