Chaetomorpha problems

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

wes

I've been running a successful refugium with Chaeto for 6 years. All of a sudden it started dying a few months ago. Its petty much the same conditions its always been with the exception of higher nitrates and phosphate due to the Chaeto being mostly dead. Any suggestions would be nice.
Alk 9
Ca 420
Mg 1400
Nitrate 10
Phosphate .05
Salinity 1.025

Last edited:
Is there any chance a contaminate made it in to your tank. Horrible thought but it might explain the die off.

Is there any chance a contaminate made it in to your tank. Horrible thought but it might explain the die off.

Yeah good thought. I've thought about it before and couldn't think of a source of contamination. But you never know it could be something like a screw that fell in the tank or something. Its been rattling in my brain for some time now.

Maybe I should have my water sent in to one of those fancy labs to test for something. I run gfo so you'd think it would take out heavy metals.

My guess would be that the Mg levels are to high for it, sustained 1600-1700ppm will kill Briopsis so would think Chaeto would be much less tolerant.

Cheers, Todd

My magnesium levels never go above 1450 and if its at that level its not for long. 1400 to 1350 is normal for the tank. It thrived under the same conditions so I don't see how it could be affecting it. But thanks for the idea.

Last edited:
Rodi going bad??I had it happening to me ..still showed 0

Interesting I'll look into it. I assume you mean the TDI showed zero? I replace my prefilters every 6 months and ro membrane every 10 months or so. I use Spectrapure products. Have they been known to be faulty?

Yeah I heard that and it makes sense. I would a gfo reactor help add iron or should I try an additive?

I have a couple of old time reefer friends that dose small amounts of an iron supplement to their fuges and have reported good results. I've yet to personally use it but will consider it when the time arises :)

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

I have a couple of old time reefer friends that dose small amounts of an iron supplement to their fuges and have reported good results. I've yet to personally use it but will consider it when the time arises :)

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

I'll try that and report back.

If it is a thick mat, is the underside portion whats dying off? Could be a lighting problem for your fuge.

I would always prune regularly and make sure there wasn't dead spots on the bottom or top.

My chaeto in the nano didn't even have lights still growing. So I'd say the water have been contaminated by some sort

My chaeto in the nano didn't even have lights still growing. So I'd say the water have been contaminated by some sort
I was hoping not but that could be the case. The tricky part is figuring out what the source of contamination is.

Back