changing light bulbs due to coral shifting color

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

apollothesun

hey fellow euthusiasts

since i dont have a light meter to tell me when to change my bulbs ive been changing my halide light bulbs out every 11 months. my t-5,vho,and power compacts every year. its about time to change them but curious if anyone has seen your corals act a certain way when you need to change out your light bulbs.
for instance, i noticed that my green with purple tip slimer begins to grow duller and darker, not the sheen florescent it once had and the tips once purple, are now green. thats when i know i need to change my halide bulbs.
i have a green pectina petal coral that turns yellow and an alien eye chalice that doesnt 'glow in the dark' when my power compacts are about at lifes end.
i also have an pink pocipora when the coral tips dont have that lightning look when i know i need to change my t5 bulbs
now i know every tanks gonna be different due to ballasts and bulb configuration, certain water parameters, but want to know about how your corals act up when you need to change your bulbs. i think this will be interesting for everyone alike so that we all have a reference to look for on why my tank doesnt look they way they used to do.
thanks for your insight

Back