Cheap controllable powerhead setup?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jrgilles

Hey Guys,

I was wondering if you had any recommendations for a cheap controllable powerhead setup.

I have a Neptune Apex controller to run them, I just need some compatable powerheads that are ok getting turned on and off.

I've read that maxijet 1200's with a mod to increase flow work well, but I also see people saying bad things, like the starting up and stopping is not good for them.

I'm currently using come koralia's in my DT, and even shutting them off for feeding is making them very noisy at start up.

I see koralia has some controllable powerheads for about $130 each that look decent, but my understanding is that they have a 'unique' plug and only work with the koralia controller.

Anyway, if you guys have any suggestions to get some controllable powerheads hooked up to my neptune controller, I'd love to hear them.

I'd like to put in 4 powerheads so I can run a flow program, but I'd rather not spend a thousand bucks to do this. Must be some sort of cheap option that I can get set up, at least until I get more money to put in tunze or vortechs or something.

Or, is there a cheaper option in the tunze of vortech models?

thanks
rob

The brand new Koralias called the "Evo" or "Evolution" can be turned on/off repeatedly with no issues - so you could cycle those in an on/off program with the Apex. The original Koralias will eventually break after constant, repetitive on/off cycles. The controllable Koralias need to be controlled with their own controller if you want variable speed. The Apex won't do it.

The brand new Koralias called the "Evo" or "Evolution" can be turned on/off repeatedly with no issues - so you could cycle those in an on/off program with the Apex. The original Koralias will eventually break after constant, repetitive on/off cycles. The controllable Koralias need to be controlled with their own controller if you want variable speed. The Apex won't do it.

Yep the new koralia evo's can be run on controllers and they arent much more then the original koralias. Plus i think they have a little higher GPH. Im in the process of getting a controller and swapping my k'3s out with the evo's.

hey ashton, i think I was posting at the same time as your first post.

I had thought I heard that you couldn't plug the controllable koralias into a normal outlet, so they were making you use them on the controller that they sell? Is this not true?

If I can put them into a normal outlet, that seems like the best choice maybe.

Hi jrgilles,
Sorry for the late post, busy today...
I have run a pair of Koralia Evo 1400s on my apex for about three months now. They are 120v so they plug into the brick fine.
So far so good, I have them on a pattern that mixes up the timing to create some wave action. I have had them cycle as fast as every 5 seconds for an extended period of time.
I'm quite happy with them so far.

What size is your tank? I was thinking of putting 4 of them in, to alternate between a clockwise and counterclockwise rotation, with some timing to make various currents. I had been told that was a good way to do it, and with the apex timing, I could have them stagger how they turn on/off.

Are you just happy with 2 of them? I'm already running 2 all the time, and I was thinking with only 1 on at a time in my 75, I wouldn't get enough flow...

I have two Koralia 1050s running on a naturalwave wavemaker and they been going for about a month now. One thing is that most of them ship with the wrong bushings and you have to email hydor to get the new ones. The out of box bushings sometimes slip out of place and cause the prop to spin backwards and after awhile they start doing it more and more. Hydor sends out the new bushings free of charge, and i'm quite happy with my Evos.

The evos look pretty awesome. Sweet price! Thanks for pointing them out. Thats exactly the price I was looking for. Might start a new thread to figure out how many to get. I'm thinking 4 for more control, but might have to go with the 1050's then.

Anyway, I'll bring up the flow setup in another thread. I'm going to go with evos.

I will follow that thread to learn as well, I think I'm noobie-er...
I have a 120, pretty light load. sps are doing great so far with the two 1400's and return.
I have them pause for only a few seconds now, so they get pretty much full flow but the turbulence created is remarkable.

jrgilles you are talking about the mave maker koralias that will not plug into the normal out put as those are dc not ac. but the new evos you can plug into a power strip and control with no issued the older koralias will break the MJ with the mods will chatter over time the only ones thats worked well with the Mj1200 was the eco mod never heard chatter from them but the sure grip mods all the time. mj are great pumps for alot of flow over 2000gph as to a koralia I think tops out on the evo models @ 1400 but look nicer then the mj and probly less issues i never used the evo models

Back