Cheapskate Chilling Techniques

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

scat

I'm struggling to keep my low-dollar, polyp/fish/live rock tank under 80°F on warm days and don't have the bucks to drop on a chiller. Anyone have any novel or amusing techiques for keeping your tanks cool? Steve

One that i heard was to have a 5 gallon bucket filled with coiled vinyl tubing and put ice in the bucket. Run the tubing from a PH in the tank back to the tank. The water flowing through the bucket will cool, in turn cooling the tank.

You can also use zip-lock bags with ice in them to cool the tank.

No doubt! I have a 10g nano in the bedroom with a fan constantly blowing on that one as well. while my fiance and I are roasting in our condo, those 2 tanks are at around 78-80 degrees! With the upcoming heat wave expected to hit w. washington, I'm more than likely to buy a dedicated fan for us humans! :lol:

Reed - I loved that idea when I first read it (the bucket). Here is the thread that I read it on: Temp Help. It is on page 2.

Yep. That's where I got it. I haven't tried it yet, but if the weather keeps up I just might have to :eek:

One of the best solutions I have seen.

I used to used thos 12 volt aux fan for computers. I have the 4 or 5 inches version... not sure.... but sure bigger than the regular ones.

Then I heard these 7 dollar fans from Wallmart. The problem was it is quiet big and heavy so I was forced to put it on sump. Did not help at all. my temp went to 86. WOW. I even add one full size stand fan blowing on the sump but still, no can do.

I went back to my old config. Just one 12 volt aux fan positioned between the tank and the canopy. It kept my tank to 80. Amazing. So like curtswearing said... air to the surface of the water specially to your main tank, makes a big difference.

Hmmmm.....Reedmans idea is very interesting. I have a friend in Manila that uses those water dispensers that has HOT and COLD thing where you put your 5 gallon containers.... the same idea.... very long hose coiled to the condenser I think. Just make sure that you use the cold side and not the hot side (evaporator).... and considering the temp in the Philippines, it works for him.

i have used both the bucket with the coil and the frozen DI water, it worked to a small degree. the problem i was having was that the ice would melt too quickly. i moved the coil (i used stainless steel) into a cooler (ala cheap beer chiller) and that works great. the ice still doesn't last forever, but it lasts long enough that i don't worry about temp when i leave the house every morning.

Lizardarm, I dont guarantee it, specially after reading the thread/link above that the dorm fridge will not work because of the small amount of BTU it has.

just my two cents.

Evaporative cooling is the most efficient and cost effective wat to cool your tank for those of us who live in climates without extreme humidity/heat. A cheap clip-on type fan blowing across the top of your tank surface will knock off about 3F. Be sure to keep a close watch on it at night as it may overcool your tank. The biggest downside to evaporative cooling is keeping the tank filled with fresh water so the salinity doesn't get too high. A temp. of 84F is about maximum for corals. Fish can take a few degrees higher. 85-86F temps. are cause for quick action. I've seen corals begin to die at those temps.

If you are running multiple bulbs on separate curcuits leave half of them off on really hot days. The corals will be just fine (there are cloudy days in the tropics :) )

HTH,
Kevin

the highest my tank has hit is 84.4F. i start to see definate coral recession at about 83.8 and up. soft corals seem to be more sensitive to the heat than the stonies, in my tank at least. when the weather does get too hot, i have also had to resort to cycling through my lamps. PCs in the morning and evening for a couple of hours (outside of the time frame that the halides are on) and one halide, then the other about half way through the day.
we need to get more people responding to this thread. someone out there has to have some great idea(s) for inexpensive coolers.

So on the extra hot days (90+) would is be okay to leave the lights off all day? I wouldn't think that one day would hurt.

I keep 5 or 6 - 1 gallon milk jugs fill with water in my freezer for emergency cool down. If the fans fail to keep to temp below 83, I will put a couple of the 1gal containers of frozen water in my sump and that will drop the temp a couple of degrees and last for a couple of hours. Repeat when needed.

Back