• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Reef Frontiers and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Check out "The Orb"

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

JPG@CFI

Precision Fabricator
I got a call from a very nice lady the other day, and she wanted me to Modernize har tank. So I said, sure! I went to her house, and saw "The Orb"!

CFI will be removing all the nasty glass, and custom fitting .500" plex in it's place. I will W/O 40 the 11 hex shaped pieces into place.

It will have a closed loup, custom overflow box and a BK skimmer in the sump under the stand. CA reactor, refugium, and 2-400 watt MH with T-5's.

Well mabey not, but will have a sick Eheim canister filter for her Neons!

9-28-10001.jpg

What do you think, guys?

Jason

Is that a real fish tank or a converted something? It looks like something from the 70’s.

Kind of reminds me of the guy that converted the clear round hanging chair into a huge fish bowl.

I didn't measure it exactly yet, but my guess is that the hex panels are 18.488" from the flat to the peak strait across from it. Your guess is as good as mine as to how many gallons. 65 gallons? Crazy huh! Jason

That would be sweet if you could build that out of straight acrylic with no metal or non see-through bracing! haha have fun with this man

OK people. We have an update on this project!

There is nothing like creating a state of the art Reef tank for someone. From the design, to the build, to the custom touches, to the install, to the pictures I get sent after the tank is all stocked. But once in a while, we get blessed with making someones decade. 3+ months ago, I got a call from a lil ole lady with a leaking tank. We set up an appointment, and I went to her house to check it out. That's when I saw the "ORB"! It had been patched and resealed about a dozen times, and leaked like a sive, and that nice green glass. I knew it would mean the world for her to fix it up. So, I haulled the stand and tank off in the truck.
After stripping the stainless exo-skin of all glass and sealent, and carving myself up like a Thanksgiving Turkey only 2 time, we made a templent, and the shavings started to fly. We cut out 11 Pentagon shapes out of .500" acrylic, we started to glue up the joints with Weldon 40. 3 layers per joint, so that was 42 seperate application of the magic WO40!
So in the last 3 months or so, I had recieved about 100 calls from the owner. Each call was the same, When are my fishies getting their new home? It warmed my heart.
So after we modded the stand, and fitted a pro grade Eheim canister filter, the "ORB" was delivered. This was a HUGE project, endless hours, 42 seperate applications of Weld On 40, and made one persons decade! Was it worth it, and would we do it again, OH YA! When we got it in place, she was so excited! I asked her what's going in it? A few Tetras, and some frogs! Not everybody keeps SPS, but she beamed with so much joy.
DSC_0172.jpg

DSC_0175.jpg

You know that tank would make a real cool Krisle tank for some moon jellies!!

Mojo

That is sooo cool :cool: I think we need to see some pics with water and fishies...

You know that tank would make a real cool Krisle tank for some moon jellies!!

Mojo

Oh, soo true.

I saw this tank about a year ago for sale. I wonder if she bought it or was trying to sell it. Could be a different one. There could more than one of those still around.

Sweet job on the rebiuld of it JPG@CFI!

Last edited:
I'm thinking the orb would look great filled with ice, Hawaiian punch, and rum. You could use that space underneath for a chiller to keep it cold.

Back