Check out this tang!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

big t

tankless
Well thanks to Tangee I have a new tang. I got it from her last week. It has been freaking out a little, but today it has started to settle into the tank more and more. I think by next week it should be back to "normal" It sure does love Nori. Do any of you know what the heck it is? I have never seen one like it, and Suzie didnt really know what it was either.

Here are some pix

tang2.jpg

tang1.jpg

Very Unique Tom Has the body like a Kole,Powder (bristle tooth) tang But its line kind of resemble a Clown Tang ( Acanthurus lineatus ) Yet it head isn't a form of a yonger Clown Tang. I sure do like it though I think you have something very Rare!

Lavender Tang

Hey Tom do some reserch on a Acanthurus nigrofuscus now most picture show spots but? Look at their tails they all have the same black spots in the top & bottom Very cool looking found in Hawaii

Ok I think it is Acanthurus Nigrorus. Very close to the one you posted. Thanks :D

Big news about your Acanthurus Nigrorus

Hey Tom I just found this out your New Little guy cant live in that Seattle Water YOU MUST BRING HIM TO ME! I promise I will take good care of him:p
Well I am Glad that You & Boomer figured Him Out. Boomer always one their is the Master and the apprentice:p

big t said:
Ok I think it is Acanthurus Nigrorus. Very close to the one you posted. Thanks :D

Hey Tom! That's a really cool looking Tang! I've honestly never seen one like that before. Is he getting along with your other tang?

how about a changing atlantic blue tang? very common in the atlantic people normally don't buy them so not collected has much as some. it started out yellow and will turn a deeper blue

robthorn said:
how about a changing atlantic blue tang? very common in the atlantic people normally don't buy them so not collected has much as some. it started out yellow and will turn a deeper blue
I am guessing and betting on the same thing. Atlantic Blue tang imo.
here http://animal-world.com/encyclo/marine/tangs/caribblue.php look at markings on fins.
:)
Ed

Last edited:
Wow Tom, you make him look like a movie star! I think you're right with your guess of Acanthurus nigroris, Bluelined Surgeonfish. It's the closest possible match. He's not a juvi Atlantic Blue, his body shape is wrong and he's been that way for at least 3 years, with no changes in pattern. I've never seen a fish like him available, but I have seen his long lost relatives at the Seattle Aquarium - exact duplicates, but no one around to identify them :mad: .

He's looking good and I bet he likes being the king of your tank!

Susie :)

From what Boomer found

Acanthurus nigroris Valenciennes, 1835
Family: Acanthuridae (Surgeonfishes, tangs, unicornfishes), subfamily: Acanthurinae picture (Acnig_uk.jpg) by Randall, J.E.

AquaMaps | Point map
Order: Perciformes (perch-likes)
Class: Actinopterygii (ray-finned fishes)
FishBase name: Bluelined surgeonfish
Max. size: 25.0 cm TL (male/unsexed; Ref. 2334)

Just a awsome fish Nothing Like my Atlantic Tang They start out all Yellow and slowly as they reach 3-4" in lenght start changing to a Deep Blue I will have to Post a shot of my monster;)

Yeah Jeff! Show him! I had a juvenile before (he was yellow) but the wild ones here don't do well so I had to let him go. Here's an old picture of the one I caught for my cousin, who too had to let him go...

In the bucket

In the nano

krish75 said:
Cool...Thanks Ed. :)
Hey Krish,
I am guessing still. Big T and Tangie will learn or know what type of tang they have. Wow, nice pictures! Nice looking fish. I see a nice piece or porites or Montipora also. Ok, I am editing this again, awesome Aqua Scaping! You are so lucky!
Cheers Buddy!
Ed:)

Last edited:
Thanks Ed...It's from my cousins nano and the frags you see we found washed up on shore so he threw them in. Seem to be bleaching now though(LOL)

Back