Chemetry Pros...a few Q's??

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

DaBrowns

I'm wondering if a couple of you guys who are smarter than me (which is most everyone here) could tell me a little about a few chemicals...if they leach from plastic forever...and if they're toxic for the reef or not.

They are: Sodium Hydroxide and Acrylamide Copolymer. I've read that these are in ALOT of products like soaps, etc.

They are also used in a product we use @ work to avoid hard water buildup in our cooling towers called "Tower Treat H". It comes in 30g sealed tubs and I have a little more info if it's needed but hopefully someone can tell me whether or not it would be safe to use a container that had these in them for RO/DI and saltwater mix storage.

Also (sorry for the length) what is the benefit of RO/DI opposed to straight RO water. We're thinking about getting the filter...but need to know the benefits of the more expensive unit...if any:?: :?: :?:

Thanks

I'm wondering if a couple of you guys who are smarter than me (which is most everyone here) could tell me a little about a few chemicals...if they leach from plastic forever...and if they're toxic for the reef or not.

They are: Sodium Hydroxide and Acrylamide Copolymer. I've read that these are in ALOT of products like soaps, etc.

They are also used in a product we use @ work to avoid hard water buildup in our cooling towers called "Tower Treat H". It comes in 30g sealed tubs and I have a little more info if it's needed but hopefully someone can tell me whether or not it would be safe to use a container that had these in them for RO/DI and saltwater mix storage.

Also (sorry for the length) what is the benefit of RO/DI opposed to straight RO water. We're thinking about getting the filter...but need to know the benefits of the more expensive unit...if any:?: :?: :?:

Thanks

Sodium Hydroxide is caustic stuff basicly lye. I probably would stay away from those containers.

Don:)

Back