chemical warfare?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ahuntnfool

Flame Angel
I was wondering if the chemical warfare between two corals could end up killing fish. The reason I ask this is that in the past couple months I have ended up losing all of my fish, which include 2 trues, 1 royal gramma, coral beauty, and flame angle. All of my perameters are in check. The only thing that I have noticed is a xenia and a pocillopora fighting over the same piece of real estate. Any info would be helpful.

Hmmm, interesting question. I'd suggest asking Kevin, in the SPS Coral forum. As far as I know, Aleopathy won't kill your fish. Filtering with Carbon and changing it regularly, will also alleviate most possible problems. BTW, the Xenia will win!!

Your problems could be due to the 2 dwarf angels in the same tank, causing a lot of aggression and stress. They typically won't get along with one another, even in a very large tank. In smaller tanks, their aggression could stress out the other fish. How long were they in the tank, together, and what behavior did you observe between the two?

If you are reffering to the chemical warfare that leathers wage, I would say no. I have about as many leathers in one tank as you can get and my fish are healthy.
I'm not sure if xenia has a chemical defense. I assumed they just were able to cover up and smother other corals.

[...]I'm not sure if xenia has a chemical defense. I assumed they just were able to cover up and smother other corals.

I thought so as well, and I've had mine bump into montis, mushrooms, and ricordea with no effect. However, a small hammer frag I had fell on a medium sized silver xenia a few months ago. I didn't move it for a couple days. The hammer must have stung the xenia, as it began to turn brownish/yellowish along the area that touched. That head of the xenia died, even after I moved the hammer, and then a neighboring xenia head died as well, but the hammer also appeared damaged. Tissue had receded from its skeleton where it had rested on the xenia. It has since recovered.

I got a couple xenia frags....placed them in the tank and a coral I had it near started dying off. I moved the xenia to another spot, so I'm hoping the coral will perk up. It will be interstesting to see what everyone says about them having chemical warfare with neighbors.

Xenias do have a chemical type of defense. It is called slime. If you ever notice if you pull any Xenia species out of the water it slimes up really good, that is what I believe it uses for it's defense in the water too.

I could be wrong, but I have been keeping different types of Xenia species with a mixed reef without issues for about 9 years now. Yes you do need to keep some Xenias in check though as they will take over if not careful. Some species do not grow as fast or take over like others.

Cheers,
Alex

Back