chemicals

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

kickside

Ok so I got this chemicals when I purchase my tank
I was told to add one teaspoon of each every 2 weeks
So my question is...is it OK to add all the chemicals at the same time?

Picture004.jpg

Best piece of advice I can give on dosing certain things is I wouldn't add anything in the tank you are not able to test for. Stuff like the calcium bottle you have there for eg, if you can't test your calcium levels to see where it is at now, adding it may put your levels too high. In addition to that, it could be too low and every 2 weeks might not be enough. The salt mix you use will have a lot of the stuff you need already in it and adding in more of anything might not be needed. With that said, all of the bottles you have there I have never used any of them and I was able to keep corals. Most I ever added was a 2 part additive B-Ionic (calcium and alk) which I tested for in addition to using Instant Ocean salt mix. Every setup is different though...:)

Just a thought. :)

Last edited:
Save your money and don't use those, especially for a new tank. (Unless of course you just plain want to help the store make money)
I agree, DON'T add anything you can't test for.
For a normal tank there is NO need for Coral Vite, Iron, Strontium, or Iodine in any of it's forms.
I have many tanks and in seventeen years of reefing have not needed any of these other than calcium, magnesium and alkalinity replacement chemicals of which the above pictured Reef Calcium is an expensive way to go about it.
I've been told over the years to use this or use that, and indeed before I got a computer in 98 and discovered people like Randy Holmes-Farley, I tried some of them. Now, I know better and my tanks have done perfectly fine without. It means I have more money to spend on the things I like, not what stores tell me I need.

Hello,
Some of the items shown can be quite toxic in elevated levels therefore it would be unwise to use them until you know what your current levels are and how much they will rise for a given dose.

Regards,
Kevin

Awesome thanks guys for the info on everything

hey krish you said The salt mix you use will have a lot of the stuff you need already in it
So should I stick to just one brand of salt mix?

Awesome thanks guys for the info on everything

hey krish you said The salt mix you use will have a lot of the stuff you need already in it
So should I stick to just one brand of salt mix?

Yes, different mixes have different chemical make ups so you should just stick with one brand. I think Krish can connect you to a poll of which salt mixes alot of us use on this forum.

I'm a Reef Crystals guy myself. As the others have said, I wouldn't add anything to my tank that I can't test for. Doing consistent water changes with a quality salt mix will provide your tank with most of what it needs to support the animals and corals that we love to keep. Supplement calcium and alkalinity through the use of dosing pumps, reactors, or kalkwasser drips if you're going to be keeping stony corals and you'll be good to go.

Mike

Back