Chiller Problem

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

capdippe

Anyone have the "Aqua Euro USA (mighty pro) 1/4HP" chiller? I bought one from Marine Depot 2 months ago (gearing up for the summer), and I think today it failed me. When I got it, it came with no instructions and seemed to kick on a lot during 70 degree weather; every 10 min it would run for 2-4 min in order to retain the pre-set 76F. today it would kick on at 77F make a bunch of odd noise and then stay on for 50 min, only to kick on 10 min later. The house temp is 84 with no AC unit for the house, 900GPH pump (chiller rated for 500GPH-100GPH), plumbed from the sump to the sump. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you Reff Frontier blogers!

Oh and when I called tech support they told me to lower the ambient room temp to 72F, really?

I would think if you kept the room temp. that low then you probably wouldn't need the chiller. Make sure you have 1 1/2 feet of air space front & back for air flow, make sure the suction is no where near the return line, also reduce your flow rate to about 300/400gph. I went through three chillers before I got one to work right through aqua logic.

Right slow the flow down with a ball valve..
And try to put the output nearest the return pump or actually into the tank itsself and not the sump if possible

Like everyone else said, slow your flow. Place a small fan blowing into the chillers air intake and see it it works better. Also make sure the chillers fan is turning at full speed.

Don

Thanks, I went with the quick fix for now and put a fan by the chiller to help remove the exhaust. It seems to be working better, I'll need to do some MX later this week. Thank you all, Matt.

Back