Chiller Question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

nasher8860

BANE
A quick question? Can you run a 1/5 or 1/4 chiller on a small tank, as long as the chiller has a controller? I ran into this guy selling a 1/4 chiller(really cheap)Saying he cant run it on his 20 gallon reef. Am I wrong in thinking it shouldn't be a problem as long as there's a digital temp. controller?

I personally think that you could run it if it had a controller. I figure being that big, it just wouldn't have to work that hard for that size tank...Just a thought though...I've never seen or had one before so I could be wrong...:)

As long as the flow past the chiller is at the rated amount for the chiller I cant see how it would cause a problem. Too slow and it will freeze up.

water temp drop would be more than normal. its kinda like using a blow torch to lite a cig. it will lite the sig but there might not be any thing left to smoke( i dont smoke but thought this was a good analogy). if you could increase your volume with a larger sump you could run the outlet of the chiller into the sump first to temper it before going back to the display and the more volume the better run time for the chiller. short cycling is what kills compressors and that is the heart of a chiller. too little water volume will cool too quickly and the controller will turn the chiller on,off,on,off rapidly because the chiller can cool that size tank almost instantly.

short cycling is what kills compressors and that is the heart of a chiller. too little water volume will cool too quickly and the controller will turn the chiller on,off,on,off rapidly because the chiller can cool that size tank almost instantly.

This is exactly what will happen. I have a 1/4 HP chiller on my 75 gallon system, (75 gal total). My chiller cycles on and off many times a day and wastes energy as well as allowing the temp to fluctuate approx 4 degrees each time. I decided to run a fan instead and my tank stays more stable now as well as less energy used. Better solution is to buy a good reliable fan and a good temp controller for less than the cost of a chiller. Your evaporation rates will increase but you can add more top off water....

Nick

Thx for the reply's, Thinking of going w/another fan and an auto topoff to replenish. Evap is already insane. I really don't feel like forking out $350 for a chiller.

Back