Chiller Question?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

bbehring

Was looking into adding a chiller to my system. Was originally considering the JBJ 1/5 hp chiller for my 55, 15 gal sump. Thinking I would have capacity for my upgrade next year to a 150 to 180 tank. I have a line on a good price on a used 1/4hp JBJ Arctica Titanium and wondering if I should I go with the 1/4hp. I'm assuming it would just cool my 55 tank quicker and use less energy as it would be more efficient? Also what's the best pump of this size unit? I will have about 3 foot of head and about a 4 foot run to/from the sump. I'm assuming it would be best to plumb into the sump?:confused:

The 1/5 arctica is a good strong chiller, but might not be enough for a 150-180 with halides. Your 1/4 idea would be better. I have a 1/3 hs chiller on my well lit 180. Any small return pump such as a RIO or eheim is fine, the individual chillers each have their own flow rate requirements, but most are not very much.

go with the 1/4, bigger is always better. you don't want that chiller running 24/7 in the summer time

Actually, this is incorrect.
The best way to size up a chiller for your system is to determine how much you need to pull the temp down. You then buy the chiller that can pull down the temp to the range you need.

I thought the exact same thing that Loohunter was reccomending, and found a good deal on a 1/4 hp chiller for my 58 gallon (75 gallons total system volume). The end result is that my chiller runs very frequently. It chills the water quickly, and cycles on and off about every 5 minutes. This uses alot of electricity needlessly as chillers (and just about everything else in the tank) use more electricity to start up than to continue running.

I spoke with the guys from Current USA about their chillers and they strongly recommended running the system with everything on to determine what temperature correction I needed, and then puchase a chiller based on that.

What temp is your tank running at without any temp adjusting, (fans etc).

Premium Aquatics has a pretty set up with their chiller selection as they list what the temp pull down on various water voumes will be with each chiller.

Nick

maxx, thanks for the insight. Before the hot temps of summer began, my tank would make it up to 84 deg. I'm not actually sure where it would end up with out the fans right now with my air set 78 and the temps outside running at or above 105f? I'm guessing 86f with these conditions and my 250w mh. I will check the premium aquatics site and then make my decision. The only reason why I'd go higher is I am planning to move up to a 180 about this time next year.

I understand the urge to purchase equipment only once, especially when contemplating a future upgrade....unfortunately, its pretty tough to do that with a chiller.

My suggestion would be to continue using the fans to control your temp, and wait til the upgrade to buy a chiller.

Or search and find a deal on a smaller chiller for your system....for a two - four degree temp drop on a 70 gallon system, a 1/10th hp chiller should be more than adequate.

Nick

I agree with Nick, If your planning a new tank within a year, I'd open it up as much as you can use many fans & wait on the chiller unless you have the money. Trying to oversize a chiller will shorten the life of the chiller If it cycles on & off very frequently.

One piece of advise I have on buying a chiller is that one brand 1/4 hp compared another brand 1/4 hp may not be the same. Quality = longevity and reliability. It holds true in most reef equipment, you get what you pay for.;)

Back