Chiller Question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Milez803

Summer coming, and this year i plan to get a chiller. Every year my corals always die due to the heat. This year i have spend alot on Sps coral and i plan to keep them alive. Can anyone provide me with information on the chiller size. I have a 130 gallon tank with maybe 40 gallon sump. many people told me that a 1/10 chiller is good enough, especially if i run my MH at night. I just wanna get some opinion on that situation. Any information would be grateful. Thanks

Chillers move the heat from the tank into the room that they're located in. So if you're running A/C, which I assume that you would be, being in Cali; then the chiller and the A/C unit will be fighting each other and would be a huge energy waste. If this fits your situation; turn up/get a bigger A/C unit and run a fan across the top of the tank. (Evaporative cooling)

If this isn’t how your system is set-up; give us a better description. There are smarter heads in here than mine.:oops:

Your gonna need to get a 1/4 HP run that tank it will pull it down 10 to 20 degree down noway a 1/10 will work without a
big PG&E cost from running all the time.;)

I agree a 1/10 is too small in LA I used to live there and know how warm it can get. Although I agree with the A/C argument fighting a chiller what I have done is built it so my chiller vents driectly out a window with a tight fit so only the hot air being exhausted goes out the window and does not waste more cooled air than necessary and as stated if a large enough a/c unit then you can run fans and over cool the room; I don't do this because I live in a condo without a/c so I use window units that could never keep up with the tank load on top of room cooling.

turn up/get a bigger A/C unit and run a fan across the top of the tank. (Evaporative cooling)

Properly placed fan will evap. more water & cool more efficiently than a rated chiller.

DSC_2355.jpg

We are hot & Very humid down here, chillers & A/C units have to work even harder to remove the moisture from the air & the little fan as in this pic works wonders. I do have a 1/4 H.P. Aqualogic Trimline & it is great but now I don't have to run it nearly as much without that one fan. I do have a 40g RO/DI holding top-off tank, I evap about 2G a day! I also have two radial fans in the back I don't even use.

Back