Chiller question.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Ilovereef

I am setting up my USA Prime Current 1/3 chiller. Should I have the pump running water through it all the time or just when the chiller kicks in? Thanks.

yes, you want water that moves water slowly continuosly running through the chiller. The slower the water moves through the more contact time it as with the chiller.

yes, you want water that moves water slowly continuosly running through the chiller. The slower the water moves through the more contact time it as with the chiller.

But not to slow. Some where close to the upper end of the specs for SW. Running to slow or at the bottom end of the specs causes short cycling.

Don

Perhaps more contact time, but less contact mass. Theoretically, there is no upper limit for water flow except due to the pipe diameter restriction of the flow causing some heat due to the resistance.

Don said it best, keep it towards the upper limit of the specs.

also by running to little of water through it can cause it to freeze up I run water through mine all year to prevent build up of debris and run it at the upper end of the specs as pumping 500gph through it your still going to cool it down and not shock whats at the end of the output pipe quite as much with a huge temperature differential...

Thank you alll for sharing your experiences. I have my 600g/h pump broken so I use the 900g/h now and it works good. Tank is cool at 77 F
Only concern is that the little temperature thermostats I've been using in the tank shows 4 degrees lower than in the chiller controller. For example I need to set 81 F from the controller to achieve 77 F in the tank. Not sure which one is correct...

For example I need to set 81 F from the controller to achieve 77 F in the tank. Not sure which one is correct...

Most temp controllers such as Ranco are pretty good and reliable. I trust quality mercury and red alcohol type best though.

If you have a human type fever thermometer, warm up some water close to 98' F, use the fever thermometer to check your other bulb types and the controller.

If needed, you can calibrate the controller.

Most temp controllers such as Ranco are pretty good and reliable. I trust quality mercury and red alcohol type best though.

If you have a human type fever thermometer, warm up some water close to 98' F, use the fever thermometer to check your other bulb types and the controller.

If needed, you can calibrate the controller.

Its easier to calibrate a thermometer with cold rather than hot or trusting another thermometer. Ice water will be 32F and is free.:)

Don

Its easier to calibrate a thermometer with cold rather than hot or trusting another thermometer. Ice water will be 32F and is free.:)

Don

Good ideas! Save me a trip to the LFS to check. Thanks, Mike and DonW

Back