Chiller recommendation

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

PowLow

I'm in the process of putting together my 200 gallon reef. It will have about 1200 watts of lighting.

Would i need a 1/4hp or 1/3 hp chiller?

Also, any brand/model recommendations would be helpful. Of course, the less expensive would be better.

Thanks in advance!!

Chiller choices

Hi PowLow I have a 150 Reef tank with 750 watts of metal halide and 360 watts of VHo and i am cooling it with a 1/3 Hp chiller i belive it would handel your application even with you living in Calf with all your hot weather.
Here is a link to the Brand i bought from one of our Sponsers these chillers are made in Calf so you might find another source closer to your home good luck ..Jeff

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=CU02606

or go to the MFG website:
http://www.current-usa.com/products/prime.html

PowLow said:
I'm in the process of putting together my 200 gallon reef. It will have about 1200 watts of lighting.

Would i need a 1/4hp or 1/3 hp chiller?

Also, any brand/model recommendations would be helpful. Of course, the less expensive would be better.

Thanks in advance!!

The 1/3 HP should be mor ethan plenty for the hottest of weathers. As far as brands go, I would say a JBJ or Aqualogic are good brands. Whatever you do, don't get a pacific coast chiller. Mine and 3 other people I know that have had them for less than a year are nothing but mierda!

I know Alberto/dgasmd had problems with his Pacific Coast, however, my experience with the PCI chiller on my tank is great. I also have 2 other friends with PCI chillers and they run very well. Take a look into the brands that dgasmd referenced you to, as well.

PowLow,
I recently set up my 150 gal with a 40 gal sump. I purchased a JBJ 1/3 hp chiller. I havn't had any probs so far. I think you need to ask yourself how many total gallons will you be running. Also will you be upgrading to larger tank or adding a frag tank to the system. Might even want to go with a 1/2 hp if the system will grow in the near future. Just a few thoughts.
Scott

Back