Chiller size for 360 gallon Aquarium

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Mt. Dreamer

Would like suggestions on which size chiller I should get for my 360 gallon aquarium. Sump size is appox. 55 gal. The brand name I'm wanting to use is Pacific Coast. I'm leaning towards the 1HP. My only concern with this size is that it might be too large for the tank (short cycles). The 1/2HP might be to small. Unfortunatly, Pacific Coast doesnt carry a 3/4HP. I would rather not get two chillers (ie. 1HP, 1/4HP). I try to make things simple.
My present heat flux has been about 4 degrees at the most. I'd like to prepare for the summer heat now. I live in Oregon, summers can be hot here too!
Will I have major problems by going with a 1HP chiller? Is short cycling too much stress on livestock/chiller? What is consider short cycling for this size chiller/tank? I have read that a bigger chiller is better. However, efficiency is important. I was also told that if I ever wanted to get a larger aquarium, than I may have the right chiller size. If for some reason Oregon has a major heat way, i then would be prepared. I don't have alot money to find out, by buying to different sizes. Would rather try to make an educated guess and choose one size only.

Thanks much,
Brian

Welcome to reef frontiers! If I were you I would find a brand that carries a 3/4hp inline, that will suit your tank pretty good...

Matt

What size chiller?

Matt,

Wow... that was a fast reply!

I would like to go with Pacific coast for a few reasons: Their distributor is only about an hour drive away. This would mean if I had problems with the chiller, it would not have to go far. I heard their customer service is great!
Price is another factor. There is a brand on the market that has a 3/4HP, but for alot more money. It's more expensive than PC's 1HP. I don't want to pay out the nose for a name. I can't see that it would be worth an extra 500.00 Pacific coast has a very good reputation for reliability both on their product and support. Bonus.. shipping would be a little less too.

What size chiller do most people use for a tank 300-400 gallons?
If you had to make a choice between 1/2HP and 1HP? what would you choose? Pretend that there is no 3/4HP available on the market.
Brian

its a little more initially but running two 1/3 or 1/2 hp chillers will be more economical in the long run. the tank will only need one smaller chiller for most of the time and that will use less electricity and when the temps get hot outside the other chiller will come on and take up the added load. set one a degree or so higher so only one is working most of the time. the other advantage of this setup is you have a spare if one quits working. another idea is have one smaller chiller for backup and a ground loop for the majority of the cooling. that way you have a backup if one fails.

Matt,

Thanks for the suggestions... I'm looking forward to using this site alot.
I think your right about the size. I dont want to buy a chiller that can't handle the job and then turn around and buy another $1300+ chiller.

I got to go for now... need to do a H20 change!

Thanks again,
Brian

The (2) chiller idea

Good suggestions on the (2) chiller idea. I'm wounding if I could tee off (plumbing). I don't want to run two seperate pumps. Maybe I could have the water hit the 1/4HP first then the 1/2HP. I'm assuming the chiller reads the water temp when it enters the chiller? It then make a determination on how much time is needed to run and "cool" the water. The problem here would be too much flow rate entering the smaller chiller first. Maybe need to have it enter the 1/2HP first? Then reduce water flow. Ijust need to be able to have enough power to return to my sump. Chiller(s) will be below tank (in claw space/under house). The distance will be appox. 7 feet from tank. Im thinking that the 1/2HP would "cool" it all the way. Working/running too much. Could one program the chiller to stop chilling at a certain point? Then send the remaining needed water to be "chilled" to the second chiller? Any thoughts here? Would I really save $$ on my electric bill by running to smaller chillers. I guess if it only needs be chilled by one ,then maybe so. This way I would have a closer size chiller capacity that is recommended for this size tank.

Brian

run a pump big enough for both chillers and tee off a separate line to each chiller after the pump and a return line to the sump from each chiller. each chiller can run independantly with the smaller on running as primary during milder temps. the chillers should each have their own internal sensor and come on automatically when the water gets too warm. just set one a degree or two higher than the other. when one chiller is off the water will still pump thru it but it wont be cooling until needed.

Chillers are a pain in the a.. to size

I would think the larger (1/2HP) chiller should be the primary and the smaller (1/4HP) secondary. This way if the larger can't handle "cooling" the tank on its own, the smaller can help. This would also mean that the smaller one may never need to come on, except maybe during the summer months. Pacific Coast rates the 1/2HP at 10 degrees cool down for 470 gallons. My tanks is 360 + approx. 55 gallon sump. If the 1/4HP came on first, my guess is that chiller run would nonstop. I think it (1/4HP) would not be big enough to handle the load no matter what time of the year. In terms of running cost, to operate 1/2HP instead of a 1HP would same me some money. Why turn on a full horse power chiller, to do the same thing, if it not necessary. The biggest problem besides of up front cost would be plumbing. I may run into troubles trying make sure there is not too much or too little water running thru each chiller. Also I'm planning to T off a seperate return line to my aquarium from the sump using the chiller(s) pump.
Just another thought came to mind... I could always add a 1/4HP chiller later.
Get a large pump now and reduce flow before it enters the chiller, if need be. Problem again here would be, after the water runs though 1/2HP not sure I would have enough flow to make it back to the sump. Can only run a max amount of water through the chiller without damage.
****...I dont know what to do. I dont want to go with another brand. I was told by a rep from PC, that running a 1/2HP is not much cheaper than a 1HP. He said especially if the 1/2 is on alot. Which there would probably be more wear on the 1/2HP then 1HP. Also dont want to buy and run a bunch of pumps.

Brian

only run the 1/4 hp as the primary in the spring and fall when it wont need to be on so much and run the 1/2 hp in the summer as the primary when the load is higher, that way you maximize the electrical savings. the advantage of a smaller chiller is longer run time which means less times it has to startup. startup is what uses the extra electricity and is also what causes the most wear on the units internal parts. having a smaller chiller will also mean a more even temperature. any motor runs more efficiently at normal operating temp and rpm than starting and stopping, heating up and cooling down.

Back