chiller

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mark peacock

marine67
Hi guys heres one for you i am thinking of getting a chiller for the tank what i am thinking is to run my fluval fx5 through the chiller it pushes out around 2300 ltr and i do not want to put another pump into my tank but the fluval is already in the tank so would save space and the cost of a pump what do you think all i would have to do is convert the in pipe from the fluval on to the chiller then into my tank?:)

I wouldn't recommend this. You would need to be careful as the flow will decrease through your canister filter over time (unless you just run straight with no media or chance to clog) and you might burn up the compressor on the chiller unit.

But if the fx5 is pushing out 2300 ltr and the chiller needs 1500 ltr per hour this would be enough or have i got it wrong would i be pushing to much through the chiller.

What "bbehring" is saying is, yes it will have enough flow if there is nothing inside of the canister filter ie: Empty.
As soon as you put media/sponge/carbon/stoney things in the canister it will start accumulating debris. Hence the term filter. Your 2300ltr will slowly go down as the debris level goes up. Eventually this will starve the chiller of flow and cause it to overheat and die.

A chiller is one of the more expensive things on your system, give it what it needs. Save the "I think this will work" for something whithout the large price tag.:)
Chad

The "filter" is at the moment only got carbon and phosphate in there so i have got more than 2300 ltr per hour,out with anything in it can do 3000 ltr so should work the same as a pump on its own :)

a chiller is rated for a specific range of flow for example mine is from 100 to 400 gph. i find it works better on the lower end, around 200 ish so if you push more than the requried amount through it then you are just pushing water through it and nothing more because it wont have enough time to cool tne water. also like every one else is saying a filter never has real consistant flow because it is picking up debris in the water that restricts the water flow

Back