Chiller

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

loluckyve

Still amazed
I am looking at buying a chiller and would like some info from those of you that run them. What is a good brand and how long do they last? Do most of you run them just in the summer or leave them hooked up year round. Thanks

Sorry.......I can't speak to recommendations for a 125 gal tank. However, I added one to my 80 gal tank 3 weeks ago. AND.....what a huge difference. I live in an area along Calif coast that has a temp swing of 40+ deg per day. My tank was going from 76 to 84-88 2-3x per week.

Now....76-78 stabled temp. Coral REAL HAPPY, fish much more relaxed, algae and red slime have subsidded. So far, unbelievable......

Good luck in your quest and enjoy the benfits.......:)

On my 210 reef I run my chiller year round. Never an issue ans nice to have a constant temp with no swings.

Ditto on year round. I have a 1/4 hp Teco on my nano (its been coming on a lot today) and a 1/2 hp on my 275 g. I've had them both over a year with no problems.

Its so nice to not have to worry about the temp.

I cool my tank with a 10,000 btu air-conditioner. Keeps the living room and dining room nice and comfy and the tank stays between 76-79 all the time. I figured on the few hot days we have on the island the AC would keep everyone in the house happy, not just the 210 piece of the ocean. By the way it cost $40 on CR for the AC a few years ago.

Back