Clam Preditor? Hitchhiker

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

The Apprentice

Barry I had a bit of bad luck in the past week I am sorry it took this long to post but been a little tied up. I lost 2 Crocea's and a maxima in a period of 2 nights I was getting to think Some of my soft mushrooms were attacking the clams but I found this Weird looking Nudibranch ?? And I am not sure but he/It was caught under the last dead clam in my tank I have pulled him and feed him to the porclin god for being Bad! But I did take these shots. Have you ever seen this or heard of one of these guys

Last edited:
The Apprentice said:
A little bigger than a dollar bill all streched out and about 3/8" thick at the thickest spots. I will try to post a cleaner picture on #4

:eek: Oh my! I'll definatly do some digging and see what I can find.

Sorry about the clams :cry: That sucks! But WOW what the heck is that thing??? :eek: :eek: Its as big as a DOLLAR BILL holy-cow :shock: We will be following along to see what Nikki digs up on it. Again sorry for your loss

That is amazing!. sorry for your loss. but I would be pretty sure that he is the cause..

Matt

BIG Barry BIG

Barry It would cover the entire bottom of a Lee specimen container about the size of a dollar Have you ever seen a monster like this IT ate a 3" crocea in one night ! Healthy clam when the lights went out get up = empty white clam shell It did sting me when I tried to pull it out of the tank It moved like a Nudibranch after it stung me i went & got the tongs.

Barry N. said:
Man, how big is that thing? :(

Sorry to hear about your loss!

ohh dood, you gotta watch out when you are doing things like this dood we don't want you ending up in the hospital (knock on wood)

Ap

I do not know what the hell that is, other than some type of nuke. I have gone through 500 pages of slugs and nothing jumps out or even close, unless I missed it. We may have to take this to the Sea Slug forum for ID

Yes Barry

I think I might have seen it the day before when I took the other dead clam shell out but??? Its hard to remember I have some brown mushrooms about 3" in dia and these 2 clams were sitting on this Live rock in amungst the mushrooms so that Nudi was able to slip in undetected :mad:

Barry N. said:
Haven't seen one that large. Is that the first time you saw it?

Thanks for trying Boomer

All I can say is at least he is gone! It sucks I started with 8 new clams in this Tank Back in November and after this I am down to 3 But I do believe this guy only ate 2 However he could have been snacking on the other ones I felt I had lost them to other reasons???:cry:

Boomer said:
Ap

I do not know what the hell that is, other than some type of nuke. I have gone through 500 pages of slugs and nothing jumps out or even close, unless I missed it. We may have to take this to the Sea Slug forum for ID

It stung you??????

Yea Nick felt like a small electrical shock After touching it and feeling the POWER I went after him with Tongs :mad:
After catching him i went to the sink and rinsed my hands for a few min didn't have any trouble after that.

maxx said:
It stung you??????

Nick

Man that's a big bugga,......Sorry to here about your clams...And i was thinking of getting a lettuce nudibrach...But plans change....Sorry again bro....

I can't find anything, and since Boomer had trouble. I think we really need the Sea Slug forum, like Boomer says. I'm really really interested to find out what this monster is. I can't believe how freaking big it is!

Fun fact: A dollar bill is 6" long (good measuring device if you don't have a ruler/tape measure handy while you are out and about).

lettuce nudibrach= Ok

I have had up to 4 from reeftopia so they are the Atlantic type and they will eat any green in the shell side of the clam but the leave the fleshy part alone same with my Blue & Purple Linkia starfish they tend to stay away from the vise!

dabears26 said:
Man that's a big bugga,......Sorry to here about your clams...And i was thinking of getting a lettuce nudibrach...But plans change....Sorry again bro....

Back