Clams in a mixed reef

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

redrooster

Landshark
Hello everyone. This is my first post in the Clam forum. I was hoping to get a clam for my tank but wanted to bounce a few questions off of you guys and gals first. I'll start by saying that I know some of the clam basics. I have MH and am running 8W a gallon so I think I have enough light. My tank has been up for 3+ years. I also feed DT's reef blend phyto every other day at normal dosage. My questions are as follows

1) It seems like I've read on a few threads here that clams 3" or bigger are a little hardier and would be better for a clam noob like myself. Is this true?

2) Which species if any are easier to keep?

3)Any particular things to look for when picking out a speciman.

4) Any experiences/issues people may have experinced with keeping them in mixed reefs.

5) Should I feed phyto every day or just double the dose and keep the every other day schedule?

6)Just any general clam keeping tips that you would like to share.

Thank you. Redrooster

Hi guys. Finally got my home computer fixed this week so I promise pictures are coming shortly. The squamosa I bought is doing well, and 2 weeks ago I picked up a derasa. It's got black and gold stripes running down the main part of the mantle with a little blue rim (about 1 MM) all they way around the edge. It's about 2"-2.5" It's the best clam I've seen around here in a while and I got him for $35 so I was very happy about that. It moved about 2" the 1st night in the tank, but has been stationary since so I suppose it likes its spot.

cant wait for some photos
xmas-smiley-029.gif

No they are different. There are squamosa, deresa, maxima, crocea. These are the "smaller" clams. Squamosa and deresa prefer sandy bottoms, maxima and crocea prefer the rockwork from what I understand. There are also Gigas clams which are the truly giant ones. They are also bottom dwellers. I used to think the maxima's had the best colors, but my deresa is as colorful as any maximas I have seen. Squamosa have probably the least exciting colors, but have really cool shells.

Derasa is one of the different species of Tridacnid clams
these are what you will find for sale
T. Crocea
T. Maxima
T. Squamosa
T. Derasa
T. Gigas

Ok thanks guys.....

I don't know much about clams, but would love to get one. I read Dersa's are best, but I have not seen one for sale locally. Are maxima's pretty hardy too? I have a 120 gal mixed reef with Tangs that don't pick and dual 250 MH mogul 20k bulbs.

Thanks,
Ali

Thanks! I guess I'll get one of those once I'm ready.

You think I have enough light. I feed every other day with phyto

Your lighting is more than adequate for a derasa. Should be fine for any clam. I keep 3 croceas and a derasa with just 216 watts T5 lighting. Derasas don't need as much light as crocea/maxima, which need the most.

And finally since Chris&Barb are members of the month I though I would finally come through with the pictures I promised.

Back