clams moving all over....

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Skeptic9962

i just got my first clam and i know they move alot at first is what ive been told but if they go somewhere i dont want it should i move it back to where i do want it...or if its moving does that mean its not happy in that spot? its a ORA blue/gold maxima bought it from petco for a steal and saved it :D i had it for about a week and it didnt move at all but when i upgraded my pumps to Tunze 6025s from the Koralia 1s it added alot more flow so my guess is he just doesnt like the flow in that spot?

its possible...if you read the clam faqs .... Maxima clams do handle moderate current...but not a lot.

Also did you acclimate him by putting him in the sand bed first near the brightest spot...then move him closer to where you wanted him?

It seemed to be true with the faq....my clam moved to the sand bed on his own...after a week I moved him a teeny bit closer to the MH bulb on a shelf like rock...now hes directly under it and i placed some rock near him to act as a current diffuser (I use that korilla 3).

Also I read that clams move where they like ...and if you move him too often it will stress him....

By the way... YOU WERE THAT DUDE WHO BOUGHT OUT THE CLAM! I went in petco lakewood and it was already gone!

Try changing the flow spot..aim it differently...i know that it disturbed my Maxima and I had to make adjustments.... mine finally anchored to a rock..which is good..means he likes the spot.

its a ORA blue/gold maxima bought it from petco for a steal and saved it :D

Petco? There goes the clam market:(. Thats a real shame they are even allowed to sell them. Clams are not a tank critter that you save and nurse back to health.

Don

Petco? There goes the clam market:(. Thats a real shame they are even allowed to sell them. Clams are not a tank critter that you save and nurse back to health.

Don

The good thing DonW is Brie is a good manager of that department. She takes good care of the coral tank in the Lakewood store..

Its like a night and day difference between Southhill Petco Salt section and Lakewoods.

oh and I think the only reason Brie is able to get more exotic orders is the latest District Manager is noticing Lakewood branch is selling the more exotic salt water animals and maintaining them well.

If you havnt visited that Petco, I suggest you do. You will see they actually care about the salt section there.

Ill not get into it about Southhill...talk about neglect and ignorance..lack of lighting etc etc.

If you havnt visited that Petco, I suggest you do. You will see they actually care about the salt section there.

I was just there last weekend and would completely disagree. That being said you can only do what the managment will allow thus why they should not be selling clams.

Don

I agree with Don, the manager of my local Petco in Sequim gets me clams when I ask him too but his hands are tied by his managment. That is when it comes to lighting and drygoods.

I was just there last weekend and would completely disagree. That being said you can only do what the managment will allow thus why they should not be selling clams.

Don

Yah they are under the thumb of corporate management and limited by it.

Petco vs petco...I think this is the better one of them all.

Saltwater Fish store vs saltwater fish store...yes I can say they are not so great vs places like Barrier Reef and Indoor Reef...

yeah i agree that petco doesnt have the means to keep a clam happy and healthy definatly if they want to do such need to get more appropriate lighting but that is there deal cant really make a store do something they dont want to....but definatly a good deal on a nice looking clam..

I do think Brie does a nice job, with that being said the prices are not good on a normal basis. A small deresa in Puyallup is 50 bucks. I would rather support Barry at Clams Direct

My clam moves from time to time. I placed a rock under it and that help. As a matter of fact its staying put. Over two months now.

Back