Clams...pros and cons

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Aquatic Guru

I never knew clams take in nitrate. I'm not to fond of them, but for this I reason, I might get one. What are the pros and cons of having a clam.

Clams will directly absorb some dissolved P and N for use in tissue building. Mostly they grow and eat their zoox as a food source, so you will need to provide decent lighting (clam type pending) to help them with their farming project.

Mike

Clams are an awesome addition to a reef. They look great and help your filtration.

I've heard the same thing Mo...I haven't heard any cons yet other than they may try and grab your tang like jlehigh:)

Not alot of big cons to them. I will try to write some down. Of course just my opinions
I have clams.
Possible down sides.
They can get pretty massive, If one dies it can quickly degrade water quality.
Some fish that dont bother corals will bother them.
They build a heck of a skeleton, several large clams could take up lots of Alk, and Ca.
You could get addicted to them, and spend all your money on clams.
They take up quite a bit of space.
Thats about all I can think of.
I like them, and think if you have the lights for them, they are a great addition to the reef. Really enjoy my three.

If the clams are healthy and your fish or other hitchhikers don't cause them problems all should be fine but Don't forget there was alot of people having problems with a pinched mantle a while back and not much of a cure was found that seemed to work easy the maintenance on trying to get them well seemed hectic. and if they are mounted somewhere and you need to dip them several times that could be a problem but then again so are rtn ing corals or fish with ich so its just sompthing to be aware of .

I have a 40 gal with a PC light. Pushing about 5.6 watts per gallon. Is this enough light for a clam? I'm just planning on getting one.

Maybe a squamosa or a derasa, just stay away from maximas and croceas.

BTW you dont like clams? I think they are what finally decided me to get into the hobby. Some of the colors of them are just amazing.

Back