clean hands

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

glidenonk2

this may be a dumb question but I was wondering about washing hands before messing with my tank. of course I wash them but my wife loves to have those sweet smelling soaps from bath and body works, should I get some kind of inert soap that will make sure I don't introduce anything into my tank?

Hot water only for me and use an 'aquarium' towel to pat dry and have around your tank. No sense washing hands and then wiping with a kitchen towel that has been unknowingly been used by someone and has cleaning agents on it.

Freshwater here as well and I dry off with a new cloth. On a side note, soaps also cause your skimmer to shut down for a bit if you put your hand in the tank...Even the oils from your skin so keep um clean:D

Wear long gloves, it is safer but like mentioned always keep anything that goes in the tank clean, even gloves!

:lol: I just stick my nasty mechanic hands in there, they are always much cleaner after cleaning the tank.:)

Don

I like to wash hands before touching each coral. A defense(slime from another coral) could injure a different coral.

I just stick my nasty mechanic hands in there, they are always much cleaner after cleaning the tank.

LMBO!!:lol:.
i just wash my hang with water...once i'm done with the tank i wash them with soap :D .
ohh and the long globes that scooter dood is talking about.... those are fancy, if you can get yourself one of those ... then it's way better .

Wear long gloves, it is safer but like mentioned always keep anything that goes in the tank clean, even gloves!

I second the long-glove-approach, they're great!

I bought a 50 pack of disposable shoulder-length gloves for about $10 from seller "djtinman" on eBay.

(they're pretty big--I actually slide a smaller latex glove over them for better fingertip grips....but other than that they work pretty well.)

Last edited:
Back