Clean up crew

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

speedymichael

Arctic Fish
I have a 72 gal tank and looking to start purchasing a clean-up crew. Any suggestions on what type of crew I will need to handle this size tank? I have 100 lbs of LR, 2 clown fish, 1 damsel. Thanks.

Do you have a sand bed? If so, is it a deep sand bed? That will determine what sand sifting critters you can go with and which you can't. As for others, I like snails. :)

Speedy,

I also started my 75 (a few years back now) with a Crushed Coral substrate... and wish that I had not. Watch your Nitrate levels very closely, and be prepared to do larger-weekly water changes to help keep them (Nitrates) in check. The Crushed Coral, being a larger particle size, is going to collect more detritus, thus its breakdown will produce much higher levels of Nitrate in your system.

As for a clean-up crew... I think 50 assorted snails would be a good starting point for you. I don't personally like (or now have) any hermits, but did start out with some... and they are kinda neat to watch. The problem I had with hermits was, they enjoyed "removing" (to be nice) the snails from their shells, just to see if they liked that new house any better... thus reducing quickly my snail numbers.

Best of luck with your system, and keep us all updated on its progress! :D

The problem I had with hermits was, they enjoyed "removing" (to be nice) the snails from their shells, just to see if they liked that new house any better...

My hermits do this to eachother, too...

Thanks all for your help. As always great advice!

I have the lights in the mail. I need to meet up with you Randy so I can return some of your stuff. You have to be close to setting up your tank again and if I keep it much longer I might exercise "Possesion is 9/10th of the law":)

I wish I was getting closer.....I'm still at a stand still on my stand and canopy..... that and since I'm flying 3-4 times a week, school 2 nights a week, and 50hr work weeks....I haven't had much time to progress on my new tank :(

I love both my hermits and snails. I have several red and blue legged hermits along with 1 large blue legged named bobo. All do fine and keep the sank sides/glass/rock very clean. I haven't had much trouble with the switching shell problem. At most LFS you can pick up 10 hermits for around $15 and same for snails. Good to refresh or tune up every now and then. I had a few die off in the beginning, but none for several months. Pretty stable.

Back