Cleaner Shrimp and Peppermint

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Aquatic Guru

Ok I have a 40 gal tank. I have a 2-3 inch cleaner shrimp in there. I may have overeacted but I noticed the other day that I have one small Aiptasia on a rock that came out of nowhere. Had the rock for about 9 months now. I went out to buy a peppermint shrimp. Probably 3/4 inch long. I like them small cause I like watching stuff grow but the question is will my Cleaner Shrimp attack the Peppermint? So far the Cleaner didn't approach it yet so far so good for the past hour. I asked the seller if the cleaner would attack it and I told him I have a 40 gal and he says " no it wouldn't " I don't know I don't believe him but I bought the darn peppermint anyways. Only $9. What do you guys/gals think? Do any of you have both these shrimps in your tank?

I've had skunk cleaners, peppermints, and a coral banded all in the same tank. They were quite peaceful toward one another. The skunk would just scare away any peps that came near him, but not in a really aggressive manner. Just making sure they respected his personal space.

Anyway, you should be just fine.

I agree with Conni. I have cleaners and peppermint in the same tank, and not seen any issues between them.

I have cleaner, peppermint and banded in my reef. I just got rid of two camels. All of them did well together.

Thanks everyone. So far, nobody is killed. Haha. The peppermint stayed in one spot ever since I bought it 6 hours ago. Maybe it's just adjusting to the tank. Hopefully he'll be all right.

My fire shrip is really big now. He wont accept any new shrimp. He is fine with my coral banded, but when my skunk cleaner died, he wipes out any replacement. I know that is not normal behavior though.

Man I've seen dead fish before but I never seen a dead shrimp in anyone tanks < friends, stores, ect..> the only dead shrimp I've seen is the one in my shrimp fried rice. Haha. Hate to see any of my shrimp die. That would blow pigeon's boobs!

Aquatic Guru said:
Thanks everyone. So far, nobody is killed. Haha. The peppermint stayed in one spot ever since I bought it 6 hours ago. Maybe it's just adjusting to the tank. Hopefully he'll be all right.

You'll find that the peppermint stays hidden most of the day. Mine only comes out after the lights are off, or when I put food in the tank.

My peps were that way too. I actually thought they had all died, and from time to time I'd find a molt to prove otherwise.

Back