cleaning a reef tank easy?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

cjdee

I have been running a 150 gal reef for a few years. recently I added the spectra pure auto refill and also controls the sump of ro that is in the basement. I am looking for a way to power clean the gravel and live rock. The siphon method is ok for the gravel but doesn't do much for the rock of course I can stir up the water and clean the rock but I need away to remove it before it settles.

You can take a powerhead and blast the rock, then put a filter sock on the end of your tank drains into the sump to collect the detritus in the water column, or put the filter sock on the end of the siphon hose into the sump. If I do any siphoning of my tank, and I'm not performing a water change, I stick the end of the hose in a filter sock in my sump. It works well.

Here is a similar thread: Cleaning My Crushed Coral Substrate

Hope this helps!

cjdee,
Only way I know of is to use a poweer head to blow off rock and have your overflow process it to the sump. Do you use a sump sock? This will catch detritus . You could possibly add a canister filter at cleaning time to help process also.
HTH's, Scott

Thanks for beating me to the punch Nikki...LOL. PIcking on the typing handicapped again.:p
Scott

I have been cleaning my reef for over thirty years with a diatom filter. I would not have a reef tank without one. I take one of those green plastic things that you can get at a florist that you put a carnation in. I cut the end off and stick it on the outflow hose of the diatom filter. Then I powerwash everything. You would be amased at the stuff that comes out of 35 year old rock. As a matter of face I was going to do it today.
Have a great day.
Paul

Back