Cleaning Skimmer

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

YamahaF934

OK so lets get this straight... List of things to do with a skimmer.

1. When cleaning a skimmer cup. Do I remove the skim mate from the inside of the collection cup? Or just suck out the stuff in the cup?

2. Run Fresh R/O through the air inlet

3. Every 4 weeks remove the pump and clean the pump.

4. What about the inlet and outlet tubing?

You Clean the entire cup, Actually you can leave the collection portion of it dirty and stinky but you really need to clean the area where the bubbles come into the collection cup. A smooth chamber helps the bubbles flow.
I don't think you need to run RO water through the air inlet. Fresh water will work.
Every 4 weeks on the pump may be overkill.
Check the airlines for obstuctions.

I would clean cup completly monitor once you start it up again.
I would run RO water thru the tube once a month never use fresh water or tap water.
Clean the pump every 6 months or so may e longer.
Check in and outlets for debries.

OK so lets get this straight... List of things to do with a skimmer.

1. When cleaning a skimmer cup. Do I remove the skim mate from the inside of the collection cup? Or just suck out the stuff in the cup?

2. Run Fresh R/O through the air inlet

3. Every 4 weeks remove the pump and clean the pump.

4. What about the inlet and outlet tubing?

you got it holms... :)

dump out and clean the collection cup with warm water every 5-7 days
a little tap water to clean the skimmer air line isnt goingto hurt anything, but sure, use ro...
and cleaning the skimmer pump once a season (every 3 months) should be plenty.

Hey Slim, I don't know about the water in theBay area but I've been cleaning/rinsing out skimmers, pumps & filter pads with fersh tap water for 25+ years and problem free. What is your take on never using any fresh or tap water to clean skimmers ??? My water district has a variable TDS reading from 15-28 right out of the tap with no heavy metals to speak of.

Todd

I agree with Todd...I use tap water with a hose and thoroughly clean the collection cup and lid every 2 wks and never had any issues..My TDS reading of my tap water is ~30 ppm

My Eheim 1260 pumps are due for their 6 month cleaning.

Back