Cleaning the plexiglass on the inside!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Dieselbreath

Lost in the salty water
Is there a easy way that will make keeping the tank cleaner appearing. I seem to get a fair amount of green hard buildup on the inside of the tank that is fairly diificult to get off. I'm running pc lighting and in a timer for approx 14 hours per day. Is this to much time or am I missing something.

Thanks Jason

8 to 10 hours should be plenty. What are you using to clean the plastic? I recommend using a mag cleaner w/ acrylic clean pad on the inside for normal stuff. Then a credit card is good for coralline and that hard green crap. Also if you have the tools you can make a hell of a scraper from acrylic sheet and a jointer or router.

Well make a 3" wide by what ever you are comfy with strip, so say by 12" The 3" portion is going to be the scraper and the other end the handle. You can make the other end into a handle w/ grips if you are handy enough. But you sharpen the 3" end on the router table setup like a jointer or jointer if you can run it thru w/ out tipping it into the blade (please don't cut your thumb off like me the other week) So anyway this if you are careful w/ the corners it won't scratch the plastic and really does great removing stubborn corraline and green crap. I will pm my friend we made one for and get him to post a pic.

big t said:
Well make a 3" wide by what ever you are comfy with strip, so say by 12" The 3" portion is going to be the scraper and the other end the handle. You can make the other end into a handle w/ grips if you are handy enough. But you sharpen the 3" end on the router table setup like a jointer or jointer if you can run it thru w/ out tipping it into the blade (please don't cut your thumb off like me the other week) So anyway this if you are careful w/ the corners it won't scratch the plastic and really does great removing stubborn corraline and green crap. I will pm my friend we made one for and get him to post a pic.

Your wife is going to take the toys away. Belt sander would be a bit safer.

Don

I was just reminding him of shop safety. I don't feel that doing that on the jointer is dangerous, just as long as he is careful w/ hand placement and has the guards in place. Just to put it out there, I cut my thumb w/ the table saw w/ no guard and was doing something when I was tired and it there was poor lighting. Recipe for damage. I don't think you could get it nearly as sharp w/ a belt sander, and I am not saying to take the skinny part across the blade, do it w/ the 3" wide part against the fence. It will leave you 2 nice 90deg edges to scrape with.

big t said:
I was just reminding him of shop safety. I don't feel that doing that on the jointer is dangerous, just as long as he is careful w/ hand placement and has the guards in place. Just to put it out there, I cut my thumb w/ the table saw w/ no guard and was doing something when I was tired and it there was poor lighting. Recipe for damage. I don't think you could get it nearly as sharp w/ a belt sander, and I am not saying to take the skinny part across the blade, do it w/ the 3" wide part against the fence. It will leave you 2 nice 90deg edges to scrape with.

Thought you meant sharpening to a point. You mean like a card scraper without the rolled edge. She's still going to take your toys away if you keep cutting body parts. :)

Don

Back